1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Toronto-bound QEW at Burlington Skyway reopens

CityNews | posted Monday, Aug 4th, 2014

burlingtonskywaycollapse-featured

All lanes of the Toronto-bound QEW at the top of the Burlington Skyway have reopened, the OPP has confirmed.

The closure had been in effect since 3:30 p.m. on Thursday after a dump truck crashed into scaffolding on the bridge in a construction zone.

“As a result of the collision, the bridge structure sustained significant damage,” the OPP said in a release. “Three other vehicles, a transport truck and two cars were also damaged subsequent to the initial collision.”

Ministry spokesperson Astrid Poei said the cleanup included removal of vehicles, steel debris, and included a thorough structural inspection. Additional repairs will be made over the next two months.

The OPP says a 34-year-old Sukhvinder Singh Rai, from Brampton, faces charges of impaired driving and exceeding 80 milligrams of blood alcohol content. He is scheduled to appear in a Hamilton court on Aug. 22.

Rai received minor injuries in the crash.

Overhead view of the Toronto-bound Burlington Skyway on Aug. 1, 2014, after Thursday’s crash causes “significant damage” to the bridge’s structure. 680News/Darryl Dahmer

Overhead view of the Toronto-bound Burlington Skyway on Aug. 1, 2014, after Thursday’s crash causes “significant damage” to the bridge’s structure. 680News/Darryl Dahmer

 

Comments

  • No comments have been left yet, get the conversation started!

Leave a Comment Below

Sign in to comment.

All fields are required.

Want to embed media into your comment? Just paste in a URL in a separate paragraph to the page where you would normally view the media (like on YouTube) and it will automatically be embedded into your comment.