Actor Robin Williams dead of apparent suicide at 63

BT Toronto | posted Monday, Aug 11th, 2014

robinwilliams-featured

Actor Robin Williams has been found dead of a suspected suicide inside his California residence, Marin County police said in a release.

He was 63.

According to CNN, Williams’ wife and press representative both released statements Monday confirming the death, saying the actor had been suffering from “severe depression.”

“This morning, I lost my husband and my best friend, while the world lost one of its most beloved artists and beautiful human beings. I am utterly heartbroken,” said Williams’ wife, Susan Schneider.

“On behalf of Robin’s family, we are asking for privacy during our time of profound grief. As he is remembered, it is our hope the focus will not be on Robin’s death, but on the countless moments of joy and laughter he gave to millions.”

The Marin County sheriff’s department says Williams’ death appears to be suicide due to asphyxia, but a full investigation is underway and an official cause of death has yet to be confirmed.

An autopsy is scheduled for Tuesday and toxicology tests will also be performed.

Earlier in the summer Williams announced he was entering rehab to deal with addictions.

Williams shot to fame in the late ’70s as the alien in TV’s Mork and Mindy. He conquered the big screen in comic films such as Good Morning, Vietnam and Mrs. Doubtfire. But he won his Academy Award in a serious role – as the therapist in Good Will Hunting.

His performing style was at its purest in his standup act, as he impersonated a Russian immigrant or parodied anyone from John Wayne to Keith Richards.

Friends of the Oscar winning actor took to Twitter to express their condolences.

Marin County Sheriff’s Office announces death of Robin Williams

With files from the Associated Press

Comments

• Sharney Curnew says:

Its such a sad world knowing one of our best people I have ever known will not be here,Your a treat to watch,never a dull moment.Loved every movie u have ever made,they all had meaning and they all made me laugh..GOOD MORNING VIETMAN,,I must of watched it 10 times..RIP my friend,you will always be with us all,in our hearts in our minds and also the family you left behind.

• Denise Mcfarland says:

I am deeply sadden about the loss of such a great actor in the last few years we have lost so many Jeanne Cooper, Paul walker . I grew up with Jeanne Cooper in my living room she was like my own grandmother and paul walker great actor also I just wish everyone would get the same amount of coverage of such a loss , nothing was ever said about Jeanne Cooper and I watch BT TORONTO everyday was little disappointed

• Karen Carlson says:

I am saddened to learn of Robin’s sudden passing.He was brilliant,I loved him as Mork and Mrs Doubtfire and in Good Morning Vietnam.I was fortunate to see him perform live twice.It is so sad that his demons won as he tried so hard to battle them.He shall be sorely missed.

• Penny Trottier says:

so sorry RIP a great actor who could keep me entertained. Sleep well my friend.

• Marcia Spelde says:

my first memory is Mork & Mindy. Watching his career blossom and so many exciting and unique roles that really showed off his incredible talent. His creepiness in One Hour Photo, his quirkiness in Jumanji, his passion in Dead Poets Society. How can anyone really pick one true favourite? I guess, if I must, without a doubt it was his cross-dressing in Mrs. Doubtfire that really let him shine. RIP great man, I feel blessed to have grown up with you in my life

• Cara Bossio Menning says:

I am so heartbroken tonight. He was one of my favourites, from the first time I saw him on Happy Days as Mork. I can’t believe the man who made millions laugh is gone. The world is a little less brighter tonight!. RIP Robin.

• Yvonne Richard says:

What I will always remember about Robin Williams is his ability to make you laugh no matter the generation or the age of the person watching him. He will be sorely missed. RIP good man.

• Leonard Cloutier says:

So sad to hear of the passing of a legend comedian. I’ll always remember his famous line from the Mork & Mindy show… nanu, nanu!!!