1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

‘The fire just exploded:’ Three in hospital after Bay and Bloor blaze

CityNews | posted Tuesday, Jan 5th, 2016

charlesfire-878x494

Three people are recovering in hospital after a four-alarm fire at a highrise apartment on Monday night.

A sauna was sending out plumes of smoke, prompting the 911 call. When firefighters arrived and opened the door to the sauna, “the fire just exploded,” explained Toronto District Fire Chief James Green.

Emergency crews were called to the building on Charles Street, near Bay and Bloor streets, around 11 p.m.

When crews arrived, they found smoke in the hallway. They traced that smoke to the sauna. Green said the fire had “fully consumed” all the cedar and the electrical wiring inside.

“When crews opened the door, the influx of oxygen caused an explosion that blew them back and injured a few of our guys. It blew doors out down the hallway and ruined the celling at the far end of the hallway.

“The fire came out and knocked the fellas down that were right in front of the door. There was no fire that went down the hallway,” it was just the force of the explosion, Green added.

A “mayday” was called in shortly after that. One firefighter and two residents were taken to hospital, but are all expected to recover. Officials say everyone is accounted for..

https://twitter.com/Toronto_Fire/status/684229991819788288

https://twitter.com/Toronto_Fire/status/684231064047468544

Comments

  • No comments have been left yet, get the conversation started!

Leave a Comment Below

Sign in to comment.

All fields are required.

Want to embed media into your comment? Just paste in a URL in a separate paragraph to the page where you would normally view the media (like on YouTube) and it will automatically be embedded into your comment.