Former mayor Rob Ford has died

CityNews | posted Wednesday, Mar 23rd, 2016

593482582001_4032777337001_video-still-for-video-4032759483001-878x494

Rob Ford, one of Toronto’s most prolific and polarizing mayors and councilors, has passed away at the age of 46.

Ford was pronounced dead at Mount Sinai Hospital Tuesday morning after battling a rare and aggressive form of cancer called pleomorphic liposarcoma since 2014.

“With heavy hearts and profound sadness, the Ford family announces the passing of their beloved son, brother, husband, and father, Councillor Rob Ford earlier today at the age of 46,” his family said in a release.

According to family, Ford was recovering after becoming “very weak” from previous treatment and was under 24-hour medical watch before his death.

“The family asks that you respect their privacy and join them in their grieving and their prayers,” the release states.

Rumours of his deteriorating condition caused many to report his passing early on social media in mid-March, but his office was quick to maintain in a statement that Ford was still alive and fighting with family by his side.

Toronto Mayor John Tory quickly made a statement about his former political adversary.

“The City is reeling with this news, and my thoughts are with his wife Renata and their two children, as well as Rob’s brothers Doug and Randy, his sister Kathy, his mother, Diane, and the rest of their tight-knit family, including TDSB Trustee Michael Ford,” Tory said.

“I have known Rob Ford for many years. He was a man who spoke his mind and who ran for office because of the deeply felt convictions that he had. As a councilor, mayor and private citizen, Rob Ford reached out directly to people across the city with a phone call, an offer of advice or support, and I know there are many who were affected by his gregarious nature and approach to public service.

“His time in City Hall included moments of kindness, of generosity to his council colleagues and real efforts to do what he thought was best for Toronto. He was, above all else, a profoundly human guy whose presence in our city will be missed.”

Kathleen Wynne issued a statement soon after the announcement was made.

“Rob Ford earned widespread respect for his unwavering persistence in the face of serious health concerns,” she said, “which he summed up in a statement released from his hospital bed during the 2014 campaign: ‘Be strong, stay positive and never, ever give up.’”

The Etobicoke-native has been a staple in Toronto politics since 2000.

Serving as councilor of Ward 2-Etobicoke North from 2000 to 2010, Ford established himself as a charismatic powerhouse with a catchy one-line slogans like “stopping the gravy train,” “respect for taxpayers” and “subways, subways, subways.”

After serving a decade as councilor, Ford was sworn in as the city’s 64th mayor and represented Toronto on an international scale for four years.

He was caught up in a whirlwind of controversy during his terms as councilor and mayor, but the most memorable is the crack scandal. In his last year as mayor, reports of a video of the former mayor smoking crack cocaine surfaced. Ford vehemently denied the allegations for months but after a year of investigation by local media and police, Ford admitted his crack use was real. The news was blasted all over Canadian and American media, and earned the former mayor an appearance on Jimmy Kimmel.

Despite all this — Rob refused to step down as mayor. Ford took a leave of absence and entered rehab instead until June 2014.

But before all the publicity, Ford was simply the youngest son of Deco Labels and Tags founder Doug Ford Sr. and had dreams of becoming a pro-football player. Ford returned to Etobicoke after a brief move to Ottawa, married his high-school sweetheart Renata and has never left since.

Comments

• Ernie Simpson says:

RIP Rob Ford, Its to bad John Tory will never get the same respect. his condolences are not well meant. He is not the peoples mayor as rob was.
    We the people will miss him rest in piece Rob Ford.

• Laura Guppy-Thurston says:

Rob Ford!May you R I P!!You were a great person and leader and will be sadly missed by many.My condolences to the family .Prayers for peace and comfort for all.

• Joyce Jones says:

I fell bad for Ford, he was not a bad man, I wish he could have lived longer in a healthier body, but god took him home, he’s in no more pain, he’s now an angel with that big bright smile that he had, no matter what because of who he was bad or good he helped to put Canada on the map.
    Rest peace Mr. Ford.

• Jeanette L. MacIsaac says:

It is with deep sadness I learn of the passing of Councillor Ford. I will never forget you. I was in the hospital in Ajax for approximately 9 days and I was hooked up to one of those machines that gives you fluids, pain medication, etc. This machine kept beeping all he time and I swear it was saying Rob Ford, Rob Ford, on and on, all day and all night. I will remember it forever. May you RIP Councillor Ford. You will be missed. My thoughts and prayers are with your family and children, friends and all the people you helped and are also missing you. RIP and God Bless.

• Lucy Fazzari says:

Today we lost a great leader Rob Ford of Toronto. You will be greatly missed by everyone. Rob fought so hard to beat this cancer up until the very end. My sympathy and condolences go out to his wife and children and all of the Ford family. RIP Rob Ford!! You will never be forgot for everything you did for Toronto.

• gulnar parvaz says:

Today we lost a great leader of Toronto.Please accept my deepest Condolences at this most challenging time and our prayers and thoughts with ROB FORD family.
    May God rest his soul in peace,

• Vin Raffa says:

You fought a good fight Mr. Rob Ford, you remained positive every step of the way, my thoughts, prayers and sympathy I extend for family & friends. Rest In Peace Mr. Rob Ford… god bless

The Ford Family, may the lord comfort you in times of sadness, may the lord give strength in times of weakness, may the lord give you peace and comfort in the times they are needed. May god bless you, keep you well.

• Brenda McCausland Cunningham says:

My sincere condolences go out to the family and friends of Rob Ford. He was a great man as well as a great mayor. He did a wonderful job for Toronto. No one can or will every replace him

• gulnar parvaz says:

Today we lost a great leader of Toronto.Please accept our deepest Condolences at this most challenging time and our prayers and thouts with ROB FORD family,R.I.P

• Sharon Brandt says:

So sorry to hear abot the passing of Rob Ford.My prayers are with his family.To his wife and two small children to have the strength to be strong at this time.

• Marj Lanting says:

My sincere sympathy to the whole Ford family. I have prayed many a time for Rob. I loved how human he was and how he kept fighting! Rob definitely had a heart of gold and gave to others to the end. I never gave up on him just wanted the best to happen for Mayor Rob Ford 🙂 My prayer will be for you – his family now, for his wife and children, for a broken hearted mom, and for his brothers and other family. Doug I love you for staying so loyal to your brother through thick and thin. MAY GOD TOUCH YOU AS YOU GRIEVE YOUR LOSS AND GIVE YOU PEACE AND STRENGTH. hugs

• Ms_Smiley55 says:

I am so sorry to hear of your loss our loss FORD family, FORD nation!!!
    Rob will be greatly missed. I loved the guy, he was a great politician, human being. Breaks my heart that he did not make it through.

• Lynda Cazau says:

Sorry to hear of his passing, he was a fighter,he at now. I grew up in the same area. He was liked by everyone, I think as Mayor he did his job and did it well. He may have slipped a little in his personal life, but ya know what? He brought Toronto back to life. At least I think he did. God Bless the family. May you REST IN PEACE Rob. Safe journey. Hugs

• Denise Guth says:

Such sad news to hear; prayers to the entire Ford family & friends.

• Joe Soares says:

You will be missed Rob Ford RIP,,i have lived in Toronto for 46 years and you did so much and u cared about the people here,say hi to my dad for me,he passed away form the same thing

• Cyndy Boisfeuillet Carpentieri says:

My sympathy and condolences to the Ford family.

• Cyndy Boisfeuillet Carpentieri says:

My sympathies and condolences to the Ford family.

• Cyndy Boisfeuillet Carpentieri says:

My sympathy and condolences to Mr. Ford’s family and friends. R.I.P., Mr. Ford.