1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Subway service resumes Friday after fire

CityNews | posted Friday, May 20th, 2016

The TTC subway is back up and running on Friday morning after a fire on Line 2 (Bloor-Danforth) shut down service on Thursday night.

There were three separate fires. Around 5:30 p.m., TTC officials shut down service between Jane and Keele stations, and hours later, said it would remain offline for the remainder of the night.

A series of incidents forced thousands of passengers to evacuate Jane and Runnymede stations, throwing the rush hour commute into chaos on the heavily travelled Bloor-Danforth line.

Fire officials were called to Runnymede station after a report of smoke and discovered the back end of a subway car had caught fire. There was no one on the train at the time.

A secondary issue was then discovered at track level involving a cable, which fire crews were then forced to deal with.

A third issue cropped up around 8 p.m. as transit officials attempted to bring subway service back online when sparking was caused by a test train running through the station.

A TTC spokesperson said the issues were likely related and that a full explanation would be provided in the morning.

Despite all the chaos, no injuries have been reported so far.

The TTC was running shuttle buses between Keele and Kipling stations for the evening commute.

Comments

  • No comments have been left yet, get the conversation started!

Leave a Comment Below

Sign in to comment.

All fields are required.

Want to embed media into your comment? Just paste in a URL in a separate paragraph to the page where you would normally view the media (like on YouTube) and it will automatically be embedded into your comment.