1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Buckling up major focus of OPP fall safety blitz

THE CANADIAN PRESS AND NEWS STAFF | posted Wednesday, Sep 28th, 2016

seatbelt
Car seatbelt. GETTY IMAGES/Andrew J. Shearer
Provincial police are calling on drivers and passengers to help make this fall’s seatbelt campaign a success.

The campaign began Wednesday.

The OPP say 347 people have been killed while not wearing seatbelts in collisions they investigated over the past five years.

So far this year, 40 people have died in collisions where they were not buckled up.

The force says not wearing a seat belt is a game-changer when it comes to the chances of surviving a crash and reducing the severity of injuries.

In a release, OPP Deputy Commissioner Brad Blair adds every life is worth the five seconds it takes to buckle up.

“Every year, our officers tend to crash victims of all ages who are not buckled in at the time of the collision,” Blair said.

“More often than not, they die as a result of being ejected, partially ejected or from the physical trauma they sustained inside the vehicle.

Drivers are being reminded that they and every adult passenger in a vehicle has to wear their seatbelt. They also have to ensure all passengers under the age of 16 are properly buckled up.

The 10-day blitz runs until Oct. 7.

Comments

  • No comments have been left yet, get the conversation started!

Leave a Comment Below

Sign in to comment.

All fields are required.

Want to embed media into your comment? Just paste in a URL in a separate paragraph to the page where you would normally view the media (like on YouTube) and it will automatically be embedded into your comment.