1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Blogs

1031-backupcamera

Cars made after May 2018 must have rear-view cameras: Transport Canada

THE CANADIAN PRESS | posted Tuesday, Nov 1st, 2016

Transport Canada says new cars and small trucks will have to be equipped with rear-view camera systems starting in May 2018.

The new regulations have been formally posted in the Canada Gazette for a 75-day comment period.

The requirement for back-up visibility brings Canadian standards in line with those in the United States.

The department says it’s a safety measure because children, disabled persons, the elderly and others are vulnerable to back-up mishaps.

It estimates that such accidents killed 27 people and injured more than 1,500 from 2004 to 2009.

The new requirement applies to new light vehicles, including passenger cars, light trucks, three-wheelers and small vans and buses.

“This helps children be seen and provides Canadians with one of the best safety technology systems to reduce back-over collisions,” Transport Minister Marc Garneau said in a statement.

The United States made a similar announcement in 2014, with a 2018 deadline for compliance.

“The objective of this proposal is to align the Canadian and United States safety regulations, to provide Canadians with the same level of protection under the law related to back-over crashes offered to residents of the United States and to satisfy vehicle manufacturers’ call to eliminate regulatory differences between Canada and the United States,” Transport Canada said.

Paul Bernardo day-parole hearing tentatively set for March

CRISTINA HOWORUN | posted Tuesday, Nov 1st, 2016

AppleMark

He is one of the most vilified serial killers in Canadian history and in just a few short months Paul Bernardo could be walking the streets again.

CityNews has learned that a day-parole hearing has been tentatively set for Bernardo this March.

This will be his first hearing – as earlier dates have previously been adjourned.

Although Bernardo has been designated a dangerous offender with an indefinite sentence, he became eligible for day parole after serving 22 years behind bars.

In 1993, Bernardo, who was 28 at the time, was arrested and charged in connection with the kidnapping, rape and murder of Leslie Mahaffy, 14, and Kristen French, 15.

His then wife Karla Homolka was also charged and convicted of manslaughter in relation to the crimes after striking a controversial plea bargain to testify against Bernardo.

The two also drugged and raped Homolka’s 15-year-old sister Tammy, who died the next day after choking on her own vomit.

In 2005, Homolka was released after serving a 12-year sentence. She is reportedly remarried with children and living in Quebec.

After his trial, Bernardo confessed to raping 14 more women as the Scarborough rapist. The serial rapes earned him the dangerous offender designation – a designation reserved for only Canada’s most violent offenders who show little to no chance of rehabilitation.

He has since confessed to nearly a dozen other rapes across the GTA.

If parole is granted, Bernardo, 52, would have to check into either jail or a half-way house in the evening and would only be free during the day.

Day parole is usually only granted after a series of successful escorted and unescorted temporary absences. It is unclear if Bernardo has ever been granted either of the temporary absences.

Unifor and Ford reach last-minute tentative deal to avert strike

THE CANADIAN PRESS | posted Tuesday, Nov 1st, 2016

CPT123370873_hd-e1477991228920

The union representing 6,700 autoworkers at Ford in Canada said it has reached a tentative agreement and secured a $700-million product investment from the automaker after a tense round of talks that went past the midnight deadline.

Unifor president Jerry Dias made the announcement just before 12:30 a.m. ET Tuesday – about half an hour after the strike deadline.

Ford workers at Ontario operations in Bramalea, Oakville and Windsor were prepared to go on strike if a deal was not reached.

Dias said the “overwhelming majority” of the $700-million investment will be going to one of its two engine plants in Windsor.

He said the investment will put the plants “at the top of the food chain for powertrain operations.”

“This new engine will be the highest technology, will be the most fuel efficient, will have incredible torque, horsepower and will be put into Ford’s No. 1-selling vehicles throughout the North American chain,” he said at a news conference early Tuesday in Toronto.

The other plant will still build 6.8-litre engines, but that will eventually be phased out, Dias said.

He and Windsor Local 200 president Chris Taylor would not reveal whether employment at the Windsor plants would increase or decrease as a result of the deal. They said they wanted to present the agreement to union members first.

Ford’s plant in Oakville will not be getting any new products, but Dias said Ford secured “a framework to get us to the next investment,” which he added will include refreshes to the Ford Edge and the Lincoln MKX.

“We were able to ensure that our Oakville facilities are going to be the primary builder for export vehicles internationally.”

Union members will have the final say on the agreement when a vote is held at local membership meetings on Saturday and Sunday.

Dias said his negotiating group is unanimously recommending the deal, which he said includes wage increases for the company’s “legacy” workers.

Unifor was seeking a deal similar to those it reached with General Motors and Fiat Chrysler America in pattern bargaining that began in the summer.

Both Fiat Chrysler and General Motors have agreed to invest $554 million each in their Canadian operations.

Page 13 of 13« First...910111213