1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

White House: Nothing to apologize for on Muslim countries travel ban

The Associated Press | posted Monday, Jan 30th, 2017

A White House official says there’s nothing to apologize for after Friday’s executive order imposing a travel ban on refugees to the United States.

Chief of staff Reince Priebus says President Donald Trump acted early on in his term to block “people who want to do bad things to America.”

Trump is temporarily barring refugees and citizens of seven predominantly Muslim countries from entering the U.S.

Scores were detained Saturday upon arrival at U.S. airports, drawing widespread protests and a court order temporarily barring the U.S. from deporting certain people.

Priebus tells NBC’s “Meet the Press” that the action “doesn’t affect green card holders moving forward” adding officials were using “discretionary authority” to ask “a few more questions” at U.S. airports.

Kellyanne Conway, a top adviser to the President, says the emergency order “really doesn’t affect the executive order at all.”

Conway says Trump’s order is about “preventing, not detaining” and says that only a very small percentage of travers have been impacted.

Conway says that it’s a “small price to pay” to keep the American public safe.

The European Union’s foreign policy chief lashed out at Trump on Sunday, insisting that instead of building walls, the continent will “celebrate” every wall which is torn down and “every new bridge that is built up.”

Building on criticism from several national EU capitals on Trump’s decision to impose a travel ban on refugees, EU High Representative Federica Mogherini said that “all men are first and foremost human beings, with their inalienable rights.”

She says in a blog post that “everyone deserves respect, beyond their faith, gender, and nationality.”

And she added between brackets “it feels so strange that we need to restate this, just days after Holocaust Remembrance Day.”

Meanwhile, Trump could find himself the subject of a travel ban. A petition set up on a British government website calling for the U.S. President to be barred from visiting the country has attracted hundreds of thousands of signatures, qualifying it for a parliamentary debate.

Prime Minister Theresa May invited Trump to make a state visit to Britain this year during her trip to Washington last week.

The petition on the British parliament’s website is titled: “Prevent Donald Trump from making a State Visit to the United Kingdom.” It says his “well documented misogyny and vulgarity disqualifies him from being received” by either Queen Elizabeth or Prince Charles.

The website says parliament considers all petitions that get more than 100,000 signatures for debate.

Comments

  • No comments have been left yet, get the conversation started!

Leave a Comment Below

Sign in to comment.

All fields are required.

Want to embed media into your comment? Just paste in a URL in a separate paragraph to the page where you would normally view the media (like on YouTube) and it will automatically be embedded into your comment.