1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar



5 injured in house fire north of Barrie

CityNews | posted Tuesday, Jan 9th, 2018

Five people have been sent to hospital after a fire broke out at a home in Victoria Harbour, just north of Barrie.

Emergency crews were called to the scene on Nielson Road just before 2:30 a.m. on Tuesday.

Sources told CityNews three adults and two children were in the home at the time.

The fire allegedly started in a Christmas tree.

One of the children has been rushed to SickKids hospital.

There has been no word on the extent of injuries suffered by the victims.

Back to school after the holiday break coincides with snow

CityNews | posted Monday, Jan 8th, 2018


It is a messy commute across much of the GTA, as thousands return to the routine of school and work after the holidays.

A special weather statement remains in effect on Monday for the region, calling for between 4-8 centimetres of snow for Toronto.

Up to 10 centimetres of show is expected in areas northeast of the Great Lakes.

So far, there are 200 flights cancelled at Pearson International Airport.

On a brighter note, the GTA is seeing a reprieve from the cold. 680 NEWS meteorologist Jill Taylor says the high for Monday will be 2 C.

She said the last time Toronto was above the freezing mark was on Dec. 23 when it was 1.4 C.

Woman dies after being hit by van in Scarborough

CityNews | posted Monday, Jan 8th, 2018


A woman in her 20s has died after being struck by a van in Scarborough on Sunday night.

Emergency crews responded to a call for a collision in the Markham Road and Steeles Avenue East area around 10:15 p.m.

Police said the woman had just stepped off a TTC bus and was attempting to cross Steeles when she was struck by the van.

The woman suffered life-threatening injuries and was rushed to hospital, where she later died.

The van remained on scene.

The eastbound lanes on Steeles Avenue East were closed for the investigation.

There has been no word on charges.

Costco recalling some Kirkland Signature brand croissants that may contain plastic

The Canadian Press | posted Monday, Jan 8th, 2018


Costco Wholesale Canada Ltd. is recalling Kirkland Signature brand All Butter Croissants sold in certain stores in Ontario due to the possible presence of plastic.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency says consumers should not eat Kirkland Signature All Butter Croissants sold in 12-packs with a best before date of Jan. 7 and a packaged date of Jan. 5.

The product was sold only at Costco outlets in Barrie, London, Newmarket and west Toronto.

Also being recalled are Kirkland Signature All Butter Croissants (Frozen, Uncooked) with a best before date of April 2 and a packaged date of Jan. 5 that were sold at Costco in Newmarket and west Toronto.

The CFIA says the recalled products should be thrown out or returned to the store where they were purchased.

There have been no reported injuries associated with the recalled food.

Click here for more information on the recall, including the store locations.

Extreme cold ends but more snow on the way for GTA

CityNews | posted Monday, Jan 8th, 2018


Toronto and the GTA are finally getting a reprieve from the bone chilling cold.

Environment Canada has ended an extreme cold warning for the city as well as Halton, Peel, Vaughan, Richmond Hill, Markham and Hamilton.

While temperatures Sunday morning started out at -35 with the wind chill, it is expected to warm up to a high of -6 by the evening.

A warming trend this week will see an almost 20 degree swing in temperatures from Sunday night into Monday with forecast highs reaching 2C. And the long range forecast is calling for a high of 5C on Thursday before we plunge back into negative territory.

But as the bitter cold moves out, the snow moves in.

The snow is expected to begin Sunday afternoon or early evening and between 5 and 10 cm is expected by the morning commute on Monday.

While Environment Canada has cancelled its warning, Sunday marks the 14th consecutive day of the City of Toronto’s extreme cold weather alert.

Moss Park armoury opens doors as winter respite location

CityNews | posted Monday, Jan 8th, 2018


Moss Park Armoury opened its doors as a winter respite location sooner than expected on Saturday evening.

The federal government gave the City of Toronto permission to open the Moss Park Armoury as a 24-hour winter respite centre for vulnerable people on Friday.

Late Friday afternoon, the City announced the Armoury won’t be open until Monday as it needed at least two days to get everything properly set up.

But on Saturday afternoon, Mayor Tory announced that the Armoury as well as other locations will be opened the same evening in response to “unprecedented demand and continuing extreme weather conditions.”

According to a release from the City of Toronto, city staff were given access to the federally owned Armoury at 9 a.m. Saturday and immediately began retrofitting the facility to meet the immediate needs of those seeking shelter from the bitter cold.

The location will remain open for two weeks and has 100 cots available. When it’s fully up and running, the location will provide access to meals, showers and hygiene kits as well as referrals to additional resources like case management and housing support, the city says.

In addition to opening the Moss Park Armoury, the city has increased the capacity and number of beds at other winter respite locations.

The Better Living Centre has increased capacity to 200 immediately and an additional 80 cots have been added to the Regent Park Community Centre. The Wellesley Community Centre will also remain open overnight to provide additional space in case all other locations are at capacity. In addition, anyone can come in from the cold at all public buildings during regular business hours, including civic centres and libraries.

Saturday marked the 13th day an extreme cold weather alert called by Toronto Public Health is in effect.

Globes roll out red carpet under cloud of sex scandals

Jake Coyle, The Associated Press | posted Monday, Jan 8th, 2018

Reese Witherspoon, from left, Eva Longoria, Salma Hayek and Ashley Judd arrive at the 75th annual Golden Globe Awards at the Beverly Hilton Hotel on Sunday, Jan. 7, 2018, in Beverly Hills, Calif. (Photo by Jordan Strauss/Invision/AP)

The Golden Globes red carpet has been dyed black by streams of actresses, actors and activists outfitted in a colour-co-ordinated statement against sexual harassment and gender inequality in Hollywood.

Arrivals were streaming into an atypically tumultuous 75th Golden Globe Awards on Sunday night at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills, California. Many female stars arrived with activist guests – Michelle Williams with “Me Too” founder Tarana Burke, Meryl Streep and domestic workers advocate Ai-jen Poo, Laura Dern and farmworker advocate Monica Ramirez – as part of the larger effort to keep the Globes spotlight trained on the sexual harassment and assault scandals that have roiled Hollywood and other industries.

“We feel sort of emboldened in this particular moment to stand together in a thick black line,” Streep said.

The Globes, which will be broadcast live at 8 p.m. EDT on NBC, had long been the stomping grounds of disgraced mogul Harvey Weinstein, whose downfall precipitated allegations against James Toback, Kevin Spacey and many others. Weinstein presided over two decades of Globes winners and was well-known for his manipulation of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, the 89-member group that puts on the Globes.

Ashley Judd, the first big name to go on record with her Weinstein experience, and Salma Hayek, who last month penned an op-ed about her nightmare with Weinstein, attended together.

Sunday night’s black-clad protest was promoted by the recently formed Time’s Up: an initiative of hundreds of women in the entertainment industry –including Streep, Williams, Dern and the night’s Cecil B. DeMille honoree, Oprah Winfrey – who have banded together to advocate for gender parity in executive ranks and legal defence aid for sexual harassment victims.

“It’s not a fashion statement. It’s a solidarity statement,” said “The Crown” actress Claire Foy.

Just about everyone, woman and man, celebrity and red-carpet reporters, was dressed in black Sunday, many of them wearing a Time’s Up pin. “This Is Us” star Chris Sullivan even sported black fingernails.

“I can tell you it’s a very small gesture. Me wearing black isn’t going to change anything, but from small gestures come big ones,” said Alfred Molina.

But the unified statement has more dramatic effects on the normal choreography of the usually superficial red carpet. While being interviewed live on E!, Debra Messing called out the network for allegedly not paying its female hosts the same as its male hosts.

The exchange was just another illustration of how the “MeToo” reckoning that has plowed through Hollywood has upended awards season. Sunday’s Globes are considered wide open, with contenders including Guillermo del Toro’s “The Shape of Water,” Steven Spielberg’s “The Post” and Martin McDonagh’s “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.”

The ongoing scandals have derailed Oscar campaigns and prompted new ones. Among the nominees Sunday is Christopher Plummer, who was brought in at the last minute to erase Spacey from “All the Money in the World.”

It should all make for an unusual atmosphere for the Globes, which have long fostered a reputation as the loosest, booziest evening of awards season. Even former host Ricky Gervais has acknowledged Sunday’s awards will have an awkward tone.

“If I were hosting the Golden Globes this weekend, I wouldn’t be brave enough to do the joke I’ve just thought of,” Gervais said Wednesday.

Hosting duties will fall instead to a Globes rookie: late-night host Seth Meyers. He will have his hands full trying to match last year’s broadcast, hosted by Jimmy Fallon. It was watched by 20 million viewers, an 8 per cent increase.

“We don’t want this night to be a session where we’re just scolding everything that happened because it is really important for us to remember that great movies came out of this year,” Meyers told The Associated Press last week. “A lot of people, we’re realizing, worked really hard in environments that were not that conducive to working really hard. So the goal is to have people have a wonderful night and an enjoyable party in a year which everyone deserves it.”

Last year’s broadcast also roped in one notable viewer: then President-elect Donald Trump. He was critical of Streep after the actress’s forceful political acceptance speech for the Cecil B. DeMille lifetime achievement award, which this year goes to Winfrey.


Associated Press writers Andrew Dalton and Lindsey Bahr contributed to his report from Beverly Hills

Man stabbed on train at Lawrence West station

CityNews | posted Monday, Jan 8th, 2018


One man is in hospital with serious injuries after being stabbed while on a subway train at Lawrence West station on Sunday evening.

Police responded to a call at the subway station around 7:15 p.m. and found a man suffering from stab wounds.

Paramedics told CityNews a man in his 30s was taken to hospital with serious injuries but they are not life-threatening.

Police searched the area and say one person is in custody.

Trains were turning back at Glencairn and Wilson Stations for a short time, but regular service has since resumed.

Page 10 of 305« First...89101112...203040...Last »