1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Blogs

593482582001_5638869911001_5638853483001-vs

King Street transit pilot project starts Sunday

CityNews | posted Wednesday, Nov 8th, 2017

The city is launching an ambitious pilot project this weekend targeting the dispiriting congestion on King Street.

The King Street Transit Pilot launches Sunday and will make the gridlocked stretch between Jarvis West and Bathurst Street into a transit-priority corridor for more than a year.

Drivers will only be able access the block on which their destination is located and will only be able to turn right on and off of King in the corridor. There is no parking on King Street during the pilot.

According to the TTC, the 504 is the busiest streetcar route in the city with 65,000 riders daily. To compare, 20,000 drivers use King every day.

The TTC said it will measure metrics and the impact the transit-priority corridor has on commuters.

There will be customer service ambassadors and police to ensure everything runs smoothly.

This project runs until Dec. 31, 2018

Here’s what drivers need to know:

  • Vehicles on King Street are not allowed to drive through the Bathurst Street intersection. Vehicles must turn left or right.
  • Vehicles on King Street are not allowed to drive through the Jarvis Street intersection. Vehicles must turn left or right.
  • Vehicles turning right onto King Street must turn into the streetcar lane. Vehicles turning right off of King Street must use the right turn lane.
  • Only TTC vehicles, emergency vehicles, road maintenance vehicles and bicycles can drive through intersections, as well as taxis between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m.
  • There is no on-street parking in the pilot area.
  • Left turns from intersections in the King Street pilot area are not allowed.
  • There will be access to driveways.
  • Vehicles travelling on north-south streets can still cross King Street.
  • At some intersections, there will be an advanced right turn green arrow.

 

For more information, visit the City of Toronto website.

City council votes to make Bloor bike lanes permanent

CityNews | posted Wednesday, Nov 8th, 2017

593482582001_5638540720001_5638504876001-vs

The Bloor bike lanes are here to stay after city council voted 35-6 in favour of making them permanent.

The 2.6-kilometre stretch of separated bike lanes run along Bloor Steer West between Shaw Street and Avenue Road.

The city’s Public Works and Infrastructure Committee recommended that council approve the lanes and Mayor Tory expressed his support on his Twitter account before voting in favour of maintaining the lanes.

A staff report last month found that cycling use has increased on Bloor Street by 49 per cent since June and, after making adjustments to signal timing, travel times for motorists have been cut in half.

Following the release of the report, Coun. Joe Cressy and Coun. Mike Layton, who championed the project, backed the findings.

“Making our streets safe for all must be a critical priority for us,” the councillors said in a joint statement. “If we want to build a 21st century city – a city that moves people safely – we must make the Bloor bike lane permanent. And the data is clear – bike lanes on Bloor Street work.”

The report found that Bloor is now the busiest bike lane in the city after Richmond and Adelaide.

 

Loblaw to merge Shoppers Optimum and PC Plus loyalty programs in February

CityNews | posted Wednesday, Nov 8th, 2017

A Loblaws PC Plus and a Shoppers Drug Mart Optimum card are shown together in Toronto on Tuesday. Nov. 7. Loblaw Companies Ltd. (TSX:L) says it will merge Shoppers Optimum points and PC Plus points under the name PC Optimum starting in February. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Graeme Roy

Customers at Shoppers Drug Mart or any of Loblaw Companies Ltd.’s grocery stores will soon use a new, unified loyalty program that replaces Optimum and PC Plus points.

Loblaw (TSX:L) will merge the two programs starting Feb. 1, 2018 under the name PC Optimum — a long-anticipated move that comes more than three years after the grocery giant acquired the pharmacy chain and its in-house Shopper Optimum system.

“We’re bringing the very best of Shoppers Optimum and PC Plus together,” said Uwe Stueckmann, senior vice president of marketing.

PC Optimum is “the future of loyalty programs for Loblaw companies,” he said, “harnessing both the power of PC Plus and Shoppers Optimum across the unified network of our stores coast to coast.”

Consumers can keep collecting points as usual until Feb. 1 next year when their Optimum and/or Plus points will move to the new program at equal value. If a collector has $100 worth of Optimum points, they will receive $100 worth of PC Optimum points, for example.

In Quebec, where Shoppers Drug Mart operates under the Pharmaprix name, the Pharmaprix Optimum program will end on Jan. 31, 2018 and members will have until May 2 that year to redeem their points or convert them at equal value to the new program.

Collectors will then use a single card or app and continue to earn points on money spent at Shoppers. They’ll also be able to earn points through personalized offers and in-store promotions at all stores, and by using the President’s Choice Financial MasterCard.

The new program will have an easy to remember redemption system — with 10,000 points valued at $10, 20,000 points at $20 and so on to a maximum single transaction redemption of $500. Shoppers can use their reward money at any of Loblaw’s nearly 2,500 stores and the company’s websites.

Consumers will earn 50 per cent more points for almost every dollar spent at Shoppers Drug Mart locations to help account for the higher number of points needed for each redemption level. Under the current Optimum program, collectors earn 10 points for every $1 spent, but need 2,000 fewer points to buy $10 worth of goods, for example.

More than 19 million active members make up the base of the two current programs, with at least 50 per cent of members enrolled in both, said Jim Noteboom, senior vice-president of loyalty and consumer insights.

After Loblaw acquired Shoppers in 2014, Noteboom said consumers told the company they wanted one program rather than two separate ones because it would make their lives easier.

“Make it one program, that’s easy to understand and easy to earn, with points that are redeemable at all stores,” he said collectors told the company while it gathered research on its loyalty cards.

Analyst speculation about a points merger has heightened since August when CIBC (TSX:CM) and Loblaw’s PC Financial announced they would end their nearly 20-year relationship.

In its place, CIBC launched Simplii Financial — a no-fee direct banking brand — on Nov. 1. In the breakup, savings, chequing and mortgage accounts went with Simplii, while MasterCard credit cards and the PC Plus points program remained with PC Financial.

The change means PC Financial debit card holders no longer earn PC points when using those cards.

Both spokesmen said that the end of the company’s relationship with CIBC was unrelated to the decision to merge both programs, which has been in the works for a few years.

Ontario to spend millions on new seniors strategy

CityNews | posted Wednesday, Nov 8th, 2017

senior-long-term-care

Ontario plans to spend hundreds of millions of dollars over the next four years on a seniors health-care plan that will increase the number of long-term care beds in the province and hours of care provided by staff.

Premier Kathleen Wynne made the announcement on Tuesday laying out the government’s 20-point plan — called Aging with Confidence — to bolster services for seniors.

The province will spend $500 million over four years to create 5,000 new long-term care beds as part of the plan and is pledging to create 30,000 more over the next decade.

The government will also increase the hours of direct care residents in long-term care homes receive to four hours per day. The Ministry of Health could not say Tuesday how much it will spend to achieve that new care standard, saying its staff will need to consult care providers in the sector to arrive at a cost figure.

Wynne touted the plan as a way to keep Ontario seniors in their homes longer.

“Trying to navigate this phase of life can be a challenge,” she said. “And it is a navigation and so in order to remain independent and to stay healthy and connected there needs to be some level of support that’s provided.”

Wynne said the government will also spend $155 million over three years to keep seniors healthy including $17 million a year to provide a new “high dose” flu vaccine, starting in 2018. It will also spend $15 million over the next two years to provide more recreational resources and health-care support for buildings that already have clusters of seniors, she said.

“There’s not a single service that will work for everyone,” she said. “There’s not a single intervention that will work for everyone. There is a continuum of services and care and supports that we need. So, we’ve listened, we’ve heard that. Our plan will provide support in a wide array of areas.”

NDP Leader Andrea Horwath said the government is only now spending to improve senior’s care in the province on the eve an election.

“Seniors and their families have been let down for 14 long years by Wynne and the Liberals, and with Wynne’s announcement on seniors care Tuesday, I wouldn’t blame them in the least if they believe they’ll be let down again,” Horwath said in a statement. “During their 14 years in power, the Liberals have amassed a wait list for seniors care that’s more than 32,000-people long.”

Canadian Union of Public Employees Ontario secretary treasurer Candace Rennick said the province needs to increase it minimum care guarantees for seniors living in long-term care as the population ages and requires increasingly complex care.

“We are also concerned that the government has offered no timeline for it’s rollout and does not legislate a minimum standard of care,” Rennick said in a statement. “Without legislated care standards there is no guarantee that seniors will get the ongoing care they need and deserve.”

Former Blue Jay Roy Halladay killed in Gulf of Mexico plane crash

The Canadian Press | posted Tuesday, Nov 7th, 2017

halladay

Former Toronto Blue Jays star pitcher Roy Halladay has died after his plane crashed in the Gulf of Mexico. He was 40.

The sheriff’s department in Pasco County, Fla., confirmed Halladay’s body was found at the scene of the crash.

Halladay won the Cy Young Award twice, first with the Blue Jays in 2003 and again in 2010 with the Philadelphia Phillies.

He threw the the 20th perfect game in MLB history on May 29, 2010.

More coming

Ontario police forces receive more reports of objects in Halloween candy

CityNews | posted Tuesday, Nov 7th, 2017

A sewing needle located in Halloween candy. HAMILTON POLICE SERVICES/Handout

BARRIE, Ont. — Police in Barrie say they’ve received another report of Halloween candy that was tampered with — this time a Tootsie Roll with a metal object in it.

Last week, Barrie police had said analysis of a pill found in a Tootsie Roll identified it as melatonin, a supplement to counter the effects of jet lag.

And police in Hamilton say they’re investigating after a child received a chocolate bar containing a sewing needle.

There have been other reports of tainted candy in Ontario this Halloween.

In the Waterloo region, police said on Friday that an 11-year-old Cambridge, Ont., girl underwent surgery after eating a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup that contained a metal object.

And police in the southwestern Ontario communities of London, Windsor and Chatham say they’ve also received reports of needles in Halloween candy.

Use of dashcams on the rise as extra eyes for drivers, police

CityNews | posted Tuesday, Nov 7th, 2017

593482582001_5637621583001_5637343414001-vs

Dashboard camera’s or dashcams have quickly become a reliable security blanket for drivers in Toronto and across Canada. So much so, that they are rapidly changing the way both police and the courts look at road accidents.

In recent years they’ve proven to be valuable extra eyes on the road that sometimes capture crucial evidence or even disturbing accidents.

“The driving culture in Toronto has become very aggressive and I’m just nervous, I want evidence if I need it” says Craig Michalowsky. His dashcam was rolling when a pothole took out one of his tires on the Gardiner Expressway, and he’s one of a growing number of Canadians who use them.

A recent survey found 35 per cent of Canadian drivers have a dashcam in their vehicles or think it’s a good idea. Toronto Police thinks so too – they’ve been using dashcams in police cruisers for at least 15 years.

Const. Clint Stibbe says dashcams are “invaluable” for the Toronto Police Service.

“A lot of people that are involved in collisions – dash camera is like a third witness which gives us another view into what exactly happened” he says.

Not only are they helpful to police, they’re also useful tools for those looking to go legal. Dashcam videos have quickly become the star witness for personal injury lawyers.

Stephanie Zwicker Slavens with Diamond and Diamond Lawyers says she’s seen the use of dashcam videos as evidence in cases increase exponentially in recent years.

“Probably an increase of 75 per cent in the last year,” she says.

Most major Canadian insurance companies do not offer discounts for drivers who install dashcams in their vehicles. But Pete Karageorgos from The Insurance Bureau of Canada says having one can help expedite the claims process.

“It really can help speed up the claims process when you have an unbiased witness or a visual like a dashcam video to indicate what exactly happened before the crash or at the time of impact … those can be invaluable to tell the story,” he says.

Michalowsky says he certainly plans to use dashcam video to tell his side of the story when it comes to the pothole versus his Mercedes.

“I’ll be contacting the city to see if they have pothole insurance I think and see what they can do” he says.

But a word of caution – don’t get carried away with the story telling. Dashcam videos must be submitted in full and unedited in order to be admissible in court.

Lawyers for Toronto actress suing Weinstein say they can’t find him

BT Toronto | posted Tuesday, Nov 7th, 2017

Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein participates in a panel at the A&E 2016 Winter TCA in Pasadena, Calif., on Jan. 6, 2016. THE CANADIAN PRESS/AP-Photo by Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP

A lawsuit against Harvey Weinstein alleging the Hollywood mogul sexually assaulted a Toronto actress nearly two decades ago is being allowed to proceed even though lawyers have not been able to track him down.

The woman’s proposed statement of claim says she was sexually assaulted by Weinstein twice, while she had a part in a movie being filmed in and around Toronto. The claim also said she reported the alleged assaults to Toronto police on Oct. 23.

The actress, only known as Jane Doe, is seeking $14 million in damages, claiming she has suffered mental distress, extreme social anxiety and depression, as well as social isolation and feelings of guilt, worthlessness and shame as a result of what happened.

The document also names Miramax – the production company Weinstein and his brother co-chaired – as well as parent company Walt Disney Co. and Weinstein’s assistant. Miramax and Disney have been served notice of the action.

None of the allegations have been proven in court and no statements of defence have been filed.

On Monday, a hearing was held in a Toronto court, where the woman’s lawyers sought to move ahead with the claim without using her name.

One of the woman’s lawyers, Alexander Smith of the law firm Henein Hutchison, said the legal team has done everything to serve Weinstein and his assistant.

Smith said they tried and failed to serve Weinstein at his home in Westport, Conn., and believe he could also be in Phoenix, Ariz., or somewhere in Europe. They also repeatedly tried to serve Weinstein’s former assistant at her office and through her lawyer but have not succeeded so far.

Smith said Weinstein is aware of the claim against him, but since the plaintiff’s lawyers were not able to serve him, it left the woman with the following options: proceed with her real name, drop the case or be delayed in getting therapy.

Smith said the woman will proceed with seeing a therapist in order gather evidence of harm for the lawsuit against Weinstein.

The judge has allowed the woman to go ahead with the claim because her lawyers have tried everything to serve him.

The judge also said the legal team has to keep trying to serve him, but granted a substitutional service order, which allows the woman to move forward with the case – even if they can’t find or he is avoiding being served.

A substitutional service occurs if a party appears to be avoiding being served court documents, then a request may be made to mail it to known address.

The case will return to court on Dec. 1.

 

 

Page 7 of 377« First...56789...203040...Last »