Pomegranates, blueberries, apples, chia, hemp hearts and lecithin are all beneficial for bowel cleansing. Chia seeds are a rich source of soluble fibre, which helps the body sweep away waste, toxins, and minimizes your risk of developing constipation. This recipe is also gluten-, soy-, dairy-, egg-, and nut-free
Makes: 4–6 servings. Keeps for up to 4 days in the fridge.
- 2 cups wild blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup filtered water, just off the boil if using frozen berries
- 1 cup organic pomegranate or berry juice
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp Hemp Hearts
- optional boosters
- 2 tsp sunflower lecithin powder
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 5 drops liquid stevia (if you like it sweeter)
- 1 tbsp NutraVeg Omega 3 Oil
- 1 cup fresh pomegranate seeds (about 1/2 pomegranate), or other fresh fruit if pomegranate is unavailable
- 2 Tbsp raw pumpkin seeds
- Place the blueberries in a large bowl. If using frozen blueberries, pour boiling water over them, mixing gently to thaw; otherwise, add cold or room-temperature water.
- Add the juice, applesauce, chia seeds and Hemp Hearts to the berries, and stir well.
- Mix in any of the boosters if desired, and place in the refrigerator to set overnight.
- In the morning, let it return to room temperature on the counter and serve topped with fresh fruit and pumpkin seeds.
Tags: dessert, gluten free, healthy
Togarashi Grilled Cheese
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 slices Ace Organic multigrain bread
- 1/3 cup grated PC Black Label jura cheese
- 1/3 cup grated PC Black Label Isle of Man cheddar cheese
- ¼ teaspoon PC Black Label togarashi spice blend
- PC Black Label truffle aioli
- Spread mayonnaise over one side of each piece of bread. Place one slice mayo-side-down in a non-stick frypan.
- Carefully sprinkle cheese evenly over bread. Sprinkle cheese with togarashi spice.
- Top with second bread slice. Put the pan on the stove over medium.
- Cook, 3 to 5 min per side or until cheese melts and bread is toasty. Serve with truffle aioli and sauerkraut.
Red Cabbage Sauerkraut
- Half a small red cabbage (about 750g)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for brine
- Thinly slice cabbage. Combine with salt in a large bowl. Massage vigourously until cabbage is soft and wilted and there’s lots of liquid in the bowl, about 7 min.
- Pack cabbage into a well-cleaned 1-L glass jar, packing it down as much as possible. Once it’s all packed into the jar, stir 1 teaspoon salt with 1 cup warm water until dissolved. Add this mixture into the jar just so the cabbage is covered by ½ inch. Cover the jar with a piece of paper towel and secure this with a rubber band.
- Let stand at room temperature at least 3 days, and as much as 7 days. Replace paper towel with a lid and keep refrigerated.
Serves 1 . Recipes courtesy of Claire Tansey’s Kitchen.
Tags: easy, grilled cheese, lunch
Prep: 20 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
- 1 540-mL can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley (optional)
Tags: cucumber, Falafel, lunch, tomato
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment.
- Whirl chickpeas with 1/4 cup parsley, garlic, egg, spices and 1/4 tsp salt in a food processor until finely chopped. With motor running, pour 4 tsp oil through the feed tube, scraping down side of bowl, if needed, until mixture starts to come together. Stir in bread crumbs. Scoop mixture and roll into 1-in. balls. Arrange 1 in. apart on prepared baking sheet. Gently press balls into 1/2-in.-thick nuggets.
- Bake in centre of oven, flipping halfway through, until firm, about 20 min.
- Stir tahini with water, 2 tbsp lemon juice and remaining 1/4 tsp salt in a bowl until smooth.
- Whisk 2 tbsp oil with 1 tbsp lemon juice and 1/4 tsp salt in a medium bowl until combined. Add tomatoes, cucumber and 1/2 cup parsley, tossing to coat.
Prep: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Makes: 6 servings
- 2 bunches cilantro, stems trimmed about 2 inches and washed well
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup slivered blanched almonds
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2-Jan small onion, about 1/3 cup
- 1 small leek, white part only, chopped, about 1 cup
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups 3.25% milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Mexican crema, optional
Tags: CIlantro, dinner, lunch, soup
- Bring a medium pot filled halfway with water to a boil. Add cilantro and cook for 1 min. Drain and rinse under cold running water until cool. Squeeze out water, then transfer to a blender.
- Add broth to cilantro. Whirl until puréed, about 1 min. Set a sieve over a deep bowl and pour puréed liquid through sieve. Use a ladle to press all liquid through sieve. Discard solids. Rinse out blender.
- Heat same pot over medium. Add oil, then almonds. Stir constantly until toasted, about 2 min. Transfer to a plate.
- Melt butter in pot. Add onion, leek and garlic. Cook until onion and leek start to soften, about 3 min. Stir in flour and cook 1 min. Add wine, stirring constantly until absorbed, about 1 min. Gradually whisk in milk until mixture thickens, about 2 min. Pour milk mixture into blender along with almonds and salt. Whirl at least 3 min until finely puréed. Return both almond-milk and cilantro mixtures to pot. Stir until warm. Ladle into bowls and top with dollops of Mexican Crema.
Makes: 1 serving
- 60 grams seared tuna
- 30 grams tuna confit
- 1 oz. red wine vinaigrette
- 60 grams salad greens
- 4 pc. cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 10 pc. blanched green beans
- 6 pc. nicoise olives
- 2 whole potatoes cooked and sliced
- 2 pc. boiled quail eggs cut in half
- chopped chives for garnish
- chopped parsley for garnish
- shaved radish for garnish
- Season tuna bellies and sous vide with olive oil. Cook at 80C steam for minutes. Let cool.
- Prepare vegetables as described and arrange on plate. Slice tuna once cooled and rest on top of salad before serving.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Daniel Boulud, Cafe Boulud Toronto.
Season tuna bellies and sous vide with olive oil. Cook at 80C steam for minutes. Cool.
Prepare vegetables as described and arrange on plate. Slice tuna once cooled and rest on top of salad before serving.
Chef Daniel Boulud
Chef De Cuisine Sylvain Assié, Café Boulud Toronto
Tags: lunch, salad, tuna
Apple and smoked gouda grilled cheese
Makes 4 sandwiches
- 8 slices of rustic bread
- 100 to 200 grams thinly sliced smoked gouda
- 1 apple, halved, cored and thinly sliced
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-low heat.
- Layer 4 slices of bread with cheese and apple. Top with remaining slices of bread.
- Spread both outside pieces of bread with butter.
- Working in batches, add sandwiches to frying pan and cook until crispy and golden, then flip.
Kary’s Helpful Hints:
- The key to a perfect golden crust and melted centre is low and slow heat.
- You can substitute pear for apple.
- Arugula would add a nice peppery bite to this sandwich.
- The apple adds a nice sweetness eliminating the need for ketchup.
Courtesy Kary Osmond, www.karyosmond.com | Twitter: @KaryOsmond
Tags: appetizer, apples, cheese, dinner, falll, grilled cheese, grilling, lunch, smoked gouda
Roast chicken with pear & brie sandwich
Prep Time: 10 min; Total Time: 10 min
- 2 slices Dempster’s Healthy Way Double My Fibre!
- 2 tsp (10 mL) prepared caramelized onion jam
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dijon mustard
- ¼ cup (60 mL) mixed salad greens
- 3 thin slices bartlett pear
- 2 thin slices of brie cheese
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked and sliced
- Spread one slice of bread with caramelized onion jam and Dijon mustard.
- Top with mixed greens, pear, Brie cheese, chicken and remaining bread slice to form sandwich.
Grilled portobello mushroom with pesto aioli sandwich
Prep Time: 5 min; Cook Time: 10 min; Total Time: 15 min
- 2 slices Dempster’s Healthy Way Say No to Fat & Sugar!
- 1 tsp (5 mL) prepared pesto
- 2 tsp (10 mL) reduced fat mayonnaise
- ¼ tsp (1.25 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 medium Portobello mushroom, cut into thick slices
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Olive oil
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) Shredded purple cabbage
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Packed alfalfa sprouts
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Mix together pesto, mayonnaise and mustard, set aside.
- Toss mushroom slices with oil. Place on grill and cook for 5 minutes per.
- Spread pesto aioli over one slice of bread.
- Top with cabbage, mushroom, alfalfa sprouts, and remaining bread slice to form sandwich.
Courtesy Mairlyn Smith, www.mairlynsmith.com
Tags: chicken, dempster, dinner, lunch, main dishes, mairlyn smith, mushroom, sandwich