- 2 large or 3 medium shallots, cut into large wedges
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 bottle of Sam Adams
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 pounds small new potatoes
- 1 pound hot dried chorizo, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Coarse salt
- 3 lobsters (1 1/2 pounds each)
- 3lbs littleneck clams, scrubbed well
- 4 ears of corn, husked and halved
- 2 pounds mussels, debearded and scrubbed well
- 1 1/2 pounds large tiger shrimp (about 30), shell-on
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 lemons, halved
- 1 bunch of parsley, chopped
- 1 bunch of oregano, chopped
- Fresh seaweed, well rinsed, for layering (optional)
- Combine onions, garlic, bottle of Sam Adams IPA and water in a 16-litre Dutch oven or stockpot. Cover with a layer of seaweed.
- Add potatoes, chorizo, and 1 tablespoon salt. Bring to a boil.
- Add lobsters; cook over high heat, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Add clams and corn; cook, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Add mussels and shrimp; cook, covered, until clams and mussels open and shrimp are cooked through, approximately 4 to 8 minutes.
- Remove seafood, corn, potatoes, and chorizo using tongs, and transfer to large platter.
- Discard seaweed and any unopened clams and mussels.
- Strain liquid through a sieve into a bowl; add butter, swirling to melt add chopped parsley and oregano.
- Squeeze lemons over clambake.
Courtesy of Chef Kevin Castonguay, owner of catering and events company ProvisionsTO