- 1 cup Gayla’s Grits
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. butter
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 8 oz. of Sweet Grass Dairy Green Hill Cheese
- 1 large Vidalia onion chopped
- 2 tbsp. of Georgia Olive Farm Olive Oil
- ½ tsp. of salt
- 1 tsp. of sugar
- 1 pound of large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 stick of butter melted
- 2 tbsp. of chopped fresh rosemary
For the grits
- Bring the chicken broth, butter and pepper to a boil.
- Add the grits to the broth mixture and cook covered over low to medium heat for one hour stirring frequently.
- Add water ¼ of a cup at a time as needed during the cooking to keep the grits from sticking.
- During the last 15 minutes of cooking add the cheese to the grits and stir to allow it to dissolve into the grits. This part alone is creamy delicious comfort food.
For the onions
- Place the olive oil in a skillet over low to medium heat, add the Vidalia onion, salt, and sugar.
- Cook for 20 minutes until caramelized.
For the shrimp
- Spread the shrimp on a greased baking sheet. Melt the butter and mix in the garlic and rosemary.
- Pour the butter mixture over the shrimp and roast the shrimp in a 400 degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Ladle the grits into 4 large serving bowls and top equal portions of the onions.
- Place equal portions of the grits around the edges of the bowls.
Tags: grits, shrimp, southern dishes