Holistic nutritionist Jesse Lane Lee shares her favourite healthy treats with a holiday twist of peppermint!
Candy Cane Black Bean Brownies (gluten free, nut free)
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 35-40 minutes | Serving size: 12 brownies
- ½ cup oat flour
- 19 oz black beans, drained and rinsed or 2 cups cooked black beans
- 3 eggs
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup cacao powder
- ¾ cup honey
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- ½ cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup crushed organic candy canes
1. Preheat oven to 350F and line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper.
2. Place the oat flour, beans, eggs, coconut oil, cacao, honey, baking powder and vanilla and blend until smooth.
3. Transfer into the pan and even out the top with a wet spatula. Top with chocolate chips and crushed candy canes.
4. Bake the brownies for 40-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Candy Cane Bark (Vegan, Gluten Free)
Prep time: 10 minutes | Inactive prep time: 2 hours | Serving size: 1 giant bar
- 3/4 cup candy cane bits
- 7 candy canes
- 1 cup carob powder
- 1/8 tsp green powder stevia
- ½ tsp peppermint extract
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
1. Whisk together carob, stevia, coconut oil, and peppermint extract; this mixture should be very drippy.
2. Pour the mixture into a lined bread pan, top with candy cane bits and place in the freezer to set for 2 hours.
Candy Cane Spelt Cookies
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup powdered coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 Tbsp almond milk
- 1 egg
- 2 1/4 cup spelt flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup crushed candy canes
1. Combine granulated sugar, powdered sugar, butter, coconut oil, almond milk, egg in a bowl mix until smooth.
2. Slowly add the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt and stir until mixed. Add the crushed candy cane and stir until incorporated.
3. Shape the dough into a 2 inch diameter log and wrap in waxed paper. Chill in the fridge for 2 hours.
4. Pre-heat the oven to 350F.
5. Slice the log into 1cm thick pieces and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
6. Bake for 13-15 minutes until the cookie edges are golden.
Candy Cane Hot Chocolate
- 1.5 cups almond milk
- 2 Tbsp raw cacao
- ½ Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp vanilla
- ½ Tbsp coconut oil
- 1/8 tsp peppermint extract
1. Whisk all ingredients together in a small pot and heat until warm. Garnish with a candy cane.
Candy Cane Blondies (nut free)
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Serving size: 9 generous squares or 16 more reasonably sized squares.
- 1/2 cup organic butter
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 2 Tbsp almond milk
- 2 organic eggs
- 2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1.5 cups spelt flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup crushed candy cane
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
1. Pre-heat oven to 350F. Grease a square 8×8 cake pan with butter and lightly coat with flour or line with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Melt the butter in a small saucepan stirring constantly until the butter starts to brown.
3. Pour the butter into a large heatproof bowl and add the coconut sugar and vanilla, blend well.
4. Add the almond milk, eggs and peppermint extract and mix till combined.
5. In a small bowl mix the flour, baking powder and salt, then add to the wet mixture. Stir just enough to incorporate.
6. Fold in the 1/2 cup of crushed candy cane and the chocolate chips.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and top with the remaining candy cane.
8. Bake for 30 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the centre comes out clean.