1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Border Runners: A by-the-numbers look at refugees crossing into Canada

CityNews | posted Tuesday, Mar 28th, 2017

An aerial shot of Roxham Road, the last stop on the refugee railroad from New York State to Quebec. HDADIRONDACKS.COM

It’s day two of CityNews reporter Avery Haines’ trip to Plattsburgh, N.Y., to find asylum-seekers on a literal run for the Canadian border.

Those who cross that border on foot are called the Roxham Road Refugees, named after the road that skirts Champlain, N.Y., and then turns into Chemin Roxham on the Quebec side of the border. But just how many people are coming into Canada?

Here’s a by-the-numbers look.

For updates from Haines, check out the CityNews Facebook page.

RCMP interceptions
2017 (Two months, January and February): 1,134 asylum seekers crossed the Canadian border illegally

2016 (All 12 months): The CBC reported that the number was 2,464.

Asylum claims processed by Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) offices

2017: 5,520
2016: 23,895
2015: 16,115
2014: 13,450
2013: 10,370
2012: 20,470
2011: 25,315

Source: Government of Canada

Canadian immigration targets

2017: 300,000

2016: Between 280,000 and 305,000

How many refugees?

2017: 40,000 protected persons and refugees (included in 300,000 immigration target)

2016: 55,800 (included in 280,000 to 305,000 immigration target)

Who can make an asylum claim in Canada?

Individuals can make an asylum claim in Canada at a port of entry or at an inland CBSA or IRCC office. CBSA or IRCC officials will determine if an individual is eligible to make a claim. Factors determining an individual’s eligibility to make a refugee claim include whether the claimant has committed a serious crime, made a previous claim in Canada, or received protection in another country. (Government of Canada)

Illegal crossings into Canada

People who are intercepted by the RCMP or local law enforcement after crossing the border illegally are brought to the nearest CBSA port of entry or inland CBSA or IRCC office (whichever is closest), where an immigration officer will conduct an immigration examination, including considering whether detention is warranted


  • No comments have been left yet, get the conversation started!

Leave a Comment Below

Sign in to comment.

All fields are required.

Want to embed media into your comment? Just paste in a URL in a separate paragraph to the page where you would normally view the media (like on YouTube) and it will automatically be embedded into your comment.