1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Toronto Hydro repair crews forced out of downtown vault after heavy smoke

THE CANADIAN PRESS AND NEWS STAFF | posted Tuesday, May 2nd, 2017

Toronto Hydro crews that were working to repair a downtown hydro vault after a series of blasts were forced back out on Tuesday morning, after the vault filled with smoke.

Toronto fire crews were called back to Yonge and King streets around 1:30 a.m., Toronto Hydro spokesman Brian Buchan said.

Firefighters are still working to secure the area and hydro crews had to evacuate, delaying the repair work. They cannot access the fault until the smoke is cleared.

Power to 20 King St. W. is still out because of the fire in the vault, Buchan added.

A series of blasts in Toronto’s financial district that shut down the area Monday and sent commuters scrambling was caused by an overheated hydro vault fire, officials said.

The first explosion was heard shortly after 5 p.m. and heavy black smoke was seen billowing from a set of grates outside a Royal Bank office building near King and Yonge streets.

The chaotic scene continued with sounds of underground blasts as officers herded crowds away from the scene.

“Did you hear those sounds? Those are explosions,” an officer was heard yelling to bystanders.

No one was injured, Toronto Fire Services said.

Police cruisers blocked off streets in the area and officers were seen wearing surgical masks as smoke hung in the air.

The incident shut down a nearby subway station and caused several streetcars to take detours. The Toronto Transit Commission said late Monday that subway service and some bus routes through the area had resumed but streetcars on King St. were still being diverted.

A section of King St. remained closed early Tuesday and it was unclear whether it would open in time for the morning rush hour.

The Royal Bank office building and parts of an underground shopping concourse were evacuated due to heavy smoke, fire officials said.

Toronto Fire Platoon Chief Kevin Shaw said firefighters were able to contain the blaze within an hour. He added that once hydro workers were able to cut the power to the vault, firefighters would be able to go in and douse any remaining hot spots.

“It’s energized electrical equipment that’s in the vault, it overheats, starts melting down … so that’s where you’re hearing the crackle and the popping,” Shaw told reporters Monday night. “There (were) visible flames out of there probably a half hour ago, but we feel that it’s definitely under control now.”

Shaw said the fire’s cause would likely be determined once hydro crews could get access to the vault.


“It could be dampness, water or an aging hydro vault, or all of the above,” Shaw said. “It all leads up to one of these fires.”

He said he has seen worse hydro vault fires downtown, but added that crews had to take precautions because it happened during rush hour.

Toronto Hydro workers were still unable to get to the vault by 9 p.m. Monday, spokeswoman Tori Gass told reporters. The utility said its crews would continue working through the night.

Gass said she could not provide any information about what caused the explosions because it was still to dangerous for crews to go in to inspect.

“It’s going to be quite messy down there, quite toxic,” Gass said. “I would say we’re not going to have answers quickly, unfortunately.”

She said Toronto Hydro routinely checks vaults around the city to make sure they are safe, but she could not say when this vault was last inspected.


  • No comments have been left yet, get the conversation started!

Leave a Comment Below

Sign in to comment.

All fields are required.

Want to embed media into your comment? Just paste in a URL in a separate paragraph to the page where you would normally view the media (like on YouTube) and it will automatically be embedded into your comment.