1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

News

6 injured after shots fired into bakery on Eglinton Avenue West

BT Toronto | posted Wednesday, Sep 2nd, 2020

Six people are in hospital after a shooting overnight at a bakery on Eglinton Avenue West.

Emergency crews were called to the scene at Eglinton and Oakwood avenues, west of Allen Road, around 2 a.m. on Wednesday.

Police said the bakery was open and filled with customers when a black SUV pulled up outside and someone began shooting into the store front.

“This is a very brazen shooting at this hour of night, no regard what so ever for any kind of safety, they just shot randomly into a group of people inside the bakery,” Insp. Tim Crone explained.

“At the time of the shooting it during a heavy (rain) downpour so a lot of people actually were inside.”

All six victims suffered serious but not life-threatening injuries.

“Very fortunately none of them are life threatening at this time. All six were transported to various hospitals and trauma units throughout the city. At last check they were in serious but stable conditions,” Crone said.

There has been no word on a possible motive for the shooting.

Police say several other businesses in the area were open at the time of the shooting and officers will be canvassing the area looking for witnesses and security video.

Eglinton has been closed from Oakwood to Marlee avenues while police continue to investigate.

Rogers expands 5G network to 50 new markets

The Canadian Press | posted Tuesday, Sep 1st, 2020

Rogers Communications Inc. is expanding its 5G technology to 50 new markets starting Tuesday.

The company says the technology will be launched in a mix of small towns and big cities across Ontario, Quebec, Alberta, British Columbia and Saskatchewan as it edges closer to its goal of bringing 5G to 60 markets by the end of the year.

Hamilton, Waterloo, Ont., Gatineau, Que., Edmonton, Calgary, Victoria, Surrey, B.C., Regina and Saskatoon will all get access to 5G, building on Rogers’s January roll-out of downtown Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal.

The new service promises near-instantaneous speeds for downloading, uploading and streaming.

However, most Canadians won’t be able to access the technology immediately because the network requires use of a 5G-enabled phone.

Rogers has a few 5G phones on the market, but is expecting more to come and consumers to make the switch as they upgrade old devices.

Rogers is the parent company of this station and website

Ontario’s licensed daycare centres open at full capacity

BT Toronto | posted Tuesday, Sep 1st, 2020

Licensed daycare centres in Ontario can open at full capacity as of Tuesday, expanding after-school care but also increasing concerns about the risks of COVID-19.

This comes ahead of the gradual reopening of schools across the province, which begins as early as next week for some.

The provincial government announced the decision back in July when it began the gradual reopening of childcare centres for essential workers and working parents. Education Minister Stephen Lecce said the decision had been made in consultation with the province’s chief medical officer of health and the COVID-19 Command Table.

“Our government is gradually and safely supporting child care expansion to ensure moms and dads across the province can return to work with confidence,” Lecce said at the time.

“We will continue to ensure strict health and safety protocols remain in place, to keep our youngest learners safe.”

There are approximately 5,500 daycares across Ontario.

Enhanced health and safety procedures will remain in place, including mandatory masks, frequent cleaning of the facilities, and emphases on proper had cleaning and hygiene practices.

But this isn’t stopping the concern over the spread of COVID-19, especially when it comes to a possible resurgence of the virus in fall and winter. On Monday, Toronto Public Health said plans are taking shape to double down on contact tracing and other measures to quell a possible second wave.

72% of Ontario parents worry another major COVID-19 outbreak will close schools: poll

SPENCER GALLICHAN-LOWE | posted Tuesday, Sep 1st, 2020

A new poll suggests that a majority of Ontario parents think despite preparations to get schools ready for reopening, the province will see another coronavirus outbreak — forcing schools to close down once again.

The poll, conducted by Maru/Blue Public Opinion Research North America in August, found 72 per cent of parents of school-aged children shared this view. This view was particularly strong among parents of elementary-school-aged children, at around 77 per cent. Around 66 per cent of parents of secondary-school-aged children said they felt this way.

Most schools in Ontario were closed by the province in March as COVID-19 took hold across the country. This forced students to learn from home using a variety of online systems.

“Such a sentiment suggests that while politicians and others have been focused on getting children back into the school setting, plans on how to exit those schools because of an outbreak is also top of mind among parents,” the polling firm said.

Parents want class sizes kept under 20 students

The poll also indicated a majority of Ontario parents — at around 70 per cent — wanted class sizes capped at 20 students or less so that their children can attend school.

Parents of elementary school students felt particularly strong about this, at around 72 per cent. Around 69 per cent secondary-school student parents thought this way as well.

The polling firm noted that the class size issue is a “make or break” situation for the parents polled.

The poll of 761 randomly selected Ontario parents of elementary and secondary school students was conducted from Aug. 14-17 and is considered accurate within plus or minus four per cent.

Peel police probe Brampton triple shooting

BT Toronto | posted Tuesday, Sep 1st, 2020

Peel regional police are investigating after three people were shot in Brampton on Monday.

Police say they received a call for multiple shots fired at around 3:44 p.m. and found one victim in the Bovaird Drive West and Chinquacousy Road area.

A second victim showed up looking for help at a fire station in the Hurontario Street and Steeles Avenue East area, while a third victim showed up at a local hospital.

All the victims are male.

Paramedics say two of the victims are in life-threatening condition.

In an update, Peel police said all three victims were among six or seven people involved in a gun fight near a cemetery.

SIU investigates man’s death at Newmarket grocery store parking lot

BT Toronto | posted Monday, Aug 31st, 2020

The province’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) says they have invoked their mandate after a man died after reportedly falling from a ledge in Newmarket.

At around 7 p.m. Sunday, York Regional Police were called for a report of a disturbance in a parking lot at a No Frills grocery store in the area of Yonge Street and Davis Drive, the SIU said.

When officers arrived at the scene, they found a man standing on a ledge that was approximately nine metres from the ground.

“The perimeter was contained,” the SIU said in a news release Sunday. “A short time later, the man fell to the ground below.”

The man was pronounced dead at a local hospital.

“Efforts are being made to identify the man,” the agency said.

No other information has been released by the SIU at this time.

The SIU is called in where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault involving police and members of the public.

Teen arrested after allegedly stealing car in Etobicoke, crashing vehicle on Gardiner

BT Toronto | posted Monday, Aug 31st, 2020

Toronto police have arrested a teen boy after what began as an armed carjacking in Etobicoke and ended with a car crash on the Gardiner Expressway.

Around 5 p.m. on Sunday, police said a person who lives on West Deane Park Drive near The East Mall and Rathburn spotted a male, believed to be 16 years old or 17 years old, trying to steal his neighbours’ car.

The resident then drove his car over and blocked the driveway to prevent the neighbours’ car from being stolen.

The suspect pulled out a knife and confronted the resident, and the allegedly stole their car that was being used to block driveway.

The suspect then drove off, allegedly hitting at least two other vehicles and then crashed the vehicle into a guardrail on the Gardiner near Kipling Avenue just after midnight.

A tow truck driver who was at the scene called police who then arrested the suspect.

Temporary midtown Toronto homeless shelters to be vacated this week, city says

The Canadian Press | posted Monday, Aug 31st, 2020

The City of Toronto says two midtown apartment buildings that have been leased to the city for the past few months as emergency housing for the homeless will be completely vacated this week.

Since May, the twin apartment buildings on Broadway Avenue have housed up to 150 formerly homeless residents as part of the city’s plan to slow the spread of COVID-19 in the shelter system.

As a part of the leasing agreement with the developer, those residents have had to move out as the buildings are prepared for demolition.

Protests over alleged safety concerns near the buildings and a nearby hotel that’s also been converted into a shelter have caused tensions in the area over the last month.

Critics claim there has been an uptick in crime in the area, though police have not confirmed that.

In response to the complaints, the city has put forward a number of new measures, including round-the-clock security and mental health and addiction supports.

Page 7 of 340« First...56789...203040...Last »