1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Blogs

Fog advisory in Toronto, freezing rain warning in parts of GTA

CityNews | posted Monday, Jan 22nd, 2018

It could be a slower-than-normal drive in the GTA on Monday due to either fog, freezing rain, or both — depending on where you live.

A fog advisory is in effect for Toronto and the GTA. Areas like Newmarket, Uxbridge, Innisfil, Caledon, and Barrie are under a freezing rain warning.

Environment Canada warns areas affected by the warning could see some patchy drizzle or freezing drizzle during the morning commute. It will be followed by an “extended period of freezing rain” later in the morning and into the evening, causing icy roads for the drive home.

The national weather agency tempered its outlook when it comes to the freezing rain it was calling for Toronto and other areas of the GTA.

It now says precipitation will likely fall in the form of rain as temperatures hover above the freezing mark. However, portions of the York and Durham regions, could see some freezing rain.

Freezing rain will be more of a threat in Dufferin Country, where temperatures are expected to be below the freezing mark until the evening.

Man reported dead after medical incident at Moss Park Armoury

CityNews | posted Monday, Jan 22nd, 2018

Reports from homeless advocates say a man in his 50s has died following a medical incident at the Moss Park Armoury shelter.

Paramedics confirmed that one person was transported to hospital from the armoury on Sunday afternoon. He was alive at the time, but advocates say he later died. EMS have not confirmed the death at this time.

Activist and street nurse Cathy Crowe told CityNews the man was reportedly staying in a room at the armoury with other residents and pets, where conditions were highly unsanitary. She added that he had been ill for quite some time.

Activists are also raising concerns about what they say are deplorable conditions at the armoury shelter.

More to come

Toronto makes short list for new Amazon headquarters

Michelle McQuigge, The Canadian Press | posted Friday, Jan 19th, 2018

Toronto is the only Canadian city still in the running to host Amazon’s multibillion-dollar second headquarters.

The e-commerce giant released Thursday its short list of 20 candidates for the facility — out of 238 cities that applied last year — which is expected to house up to 50,000 employees.

Bids poured in from Canadian cities from coast to coast as both major urban centres like Montreal and Halifax vied with smaller dark-horse competitors such as Sault Ste. Marie, Ont.

In the end, however, Toronto was the only Canadian city to make the short list, where it stands alongside American metropolises such as Los Angeles, New York City, Philadelphia and Atlanta.

“Getting from 238 to 20 was very tough,” Amazon said in a tweet announcing the short list. “All the proposals showed tremendous enthusiasm and creativity.”

Toronto Mayor John Tory celebrated the news that the city and surrounding municipalities were in contention.

“Last year, I said I would put the Toronto Region up against any city in North America as the place for ambitious, forward-looking companies looking for a home,” he said in a statement touting Toronto’s talent, quality of life and vibrancy. “I’m glad that Amazon agrees that Toronto is worth considering.”

In the bid it submitted to Amazon last October, Toronto was quick to point out that it met all the criteria the company specified in its search for a second corporate home.

The company’s wish list included proximity to a metropolitan area with more than a million people; ability to attract top technical talent, a location 45 minutes from an international airport, direct access to mass transit, and the capacity to expand the headquarters to more than 740,000 square metres over the next decade.

Toronto also touted diversity as one of its strengths alongside its lower business costs relative to similarly sized American competitors, expanding infrastructure and low crime rates.

The city’s pitch also took what could be construed as a dig at U.S. President Donald Trump and his administrations anti-immigration policies.

“We build doors, not walls,” reads the cover letter from the group co-ordinating the bid from Toronto and several surrounding municipalities. “Those doors open to highly skilled economic immigrants and international students who can easily become permanent residents and citizens.”

Ontario’s Economic Development Minister Steven Del Duca said Toronto’s placement on the Amazon short list is “outstanding news” for the entire province.

“I think it’s a very clear indication that it’s a jurisdiction that’s attracting top talent and top talent (is) being trained in this area.”

Asked if economic incentives were back on the table to land Amazon, Del Duca said the province will continue to push its skilled work force as the top selling point.

“The focus of our efforts has been talking about the kind of talent that we have at the table,” he said. “I know that from the very beginning we’ve stressed that that’s the focus of what makes Ontario and the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area particularly appealing for organizations and companies like Amazon. I believe that’s what we’ll continue to stress.”

Alberta investigating ice cream eating bear at Dairy Queen drive thru

The Canadian Press | posted Friday, Jan 19th, 2018

The province is investigating a video that shows a Kodiak bear from a central Alberta zoo being taken through a fast-food drive-thru and being hand-fed ice cream by the restaurant’s owner.

The video, posted on social media by the Discovery Wildlife Park in Innisfail, shows a one-year-old captive bear named Berkley leaning out the driver’s side of a truck’s window for her treat at the local Dairy Queen.

“We’ve got Berkley in the drive-thru testing out some ice cream so she can pick out her birthday cake,” says a man identified as Mark in the video. “We’ve added some peanuts to this batch and she seems to like it – so I think we’ve got a winner here.”

 

Officials with the province said they are investigating the video and the terms of the zoo’s permit, which is regulated by Alberta Environment and Parks.

“Public safety is a top priority for our government,” said spokesman Brendan Cox. “The content of the video in question is disturbing and both Environment and Parks, and the Fish and Wildlife enforcement branch are actively investigating this incident.

“The involvement of Discovery Wildlife Park in this matter is also subject to investigation. If non-compliance is found, action will be taken.”

Bear experts are calling the video irresponsible and disrespectful.

“It’s a challenge every day out there in our parks and protected areas to try to teach people who are visiting these places or live here in Alberta that we don’t feed wildlife, that we don’t feed bears,” said Kim Titchener, who runs a business called Bear Safety & More.

“We need to conserve and protect them, and respect them.”

Serena Bos, a trainer at Discovery Wildlife Park, said there was no safety concern because the bear was on a chain in the truck the entire time.

“There was never any public present. It was done long before the Dairy Queen even opened,” she said. “Berkley is a captive bear, so not a wild bear in any way.”

Bos said the bear, which is a sub-species of the grizzly bear, came from another facility in the United States and has been well-trained.

“We have put out hundreds of conservation messages on social media over the years,” said Bos, who noted the park uses its animals as ambassadors to get those messages out.

The message in the video with the bruin in the truck is about the importance of staying inside a vehicle when a bear is on the side of the highway because they have a keen sense of smell, she said.

Mark Kemball, owner of the Dairy Queen, said he was never concerned about his safety as he fed the bear.

“This bear is as tame as any animal I have ever seen,” he said. “She is as gentle as can be. She has never been in the wild.”

Kemball added that he was happy to help get the message out about bears.

“Those are bears that can never be released in the wild,” he said. “They (wildlife park) do bear safety. They do education around bears. They do education around wolves. The whole underlying theme of their park is to provide education to the public.

“It does grab people’s attention and then obviously they can try to get their message out.”

A second video posted on social media shows the same bear being fed a Dairy Queen ice-cream cake on its birthday.

Titchener said the videos go against everything experts are trying to teach people about grizzly bears.

“This is not the message that we want to get out there,” she said.

It’s “not part of their natural diet nor is it natural for a bear to be eating an ice-cream cake in the middle of winter when they should be sleeping.”

TTC planning new shuttle buses to connect riders to Mimico GO station

CityNews | posted Friday, Jan 19th, 2018

Getting to the GO station could soon be a lot easier for residents of Humber Bay Shores and the Mystic Point neighbourhoods.

 

On Thursday the TTC unveiled plans for a new community shuttle bus, connecting tens of thousands of people to the Mimico GO station.

The frequency, and costs of the run, are still being worked out while the community has a chance to provide input, but the goal is to have it running by the summer.

“We are going to try to get this thing going hopefully by the summer. This will get people to and back from the GO station Mimico,” Mark Grimes, councillor for Etobicoke-Lakeshore told CityNews.

Although there are tens of thousands of people living in the largely vertical neighbourhoods, there is currently no transit connection to the GO station — forcing people to park illegally on side streets to catch the GO or get in their cars to commute downtown.

graf-1024x576

 

“Transit is seriously lacking,” area resident Sandra Dundek says. “It’s always congested — even when it’s not rush hour.”

To make matters worse, even more people are moving into the area. There are over a half dozen developments under way in the Mystic Point / Humber Bay area, with several others in the works in nearby Mimico.

In 2016, Mimico station had an average weekly ridership of 3200 passengers — making it the 6th busiest station on the Lakeshore West line. But Grimes believes ridership would be much higher if the station was located closer to the higher density neighbourhood of Humber Bay Shores.

graf2-1024x576

 

“Transit is seriously lacking,” area resident Sandra Dundek says. “It’s always congested — even when it’s not rush hour.”

To make matters worse, even more people are moving into the area. There are over a half dozen developments under way in the Mystic Point / Humber Bay area, with several others in the works in nearby Mimico.

In 2016, Mimico station had an average weekly ridership of 3200 passengers — making it the 6th busiest station on the Lakeshore West line. But Grimes believes ridership would be much higher if the station was located closer to the higher density neighbourhood of Humber Bay Shores.

 

EpiPen, used to treat life-threatening allergic reaction, in short supply

The Canadian Press | posted Friday, Jan 19th, 2018

The Canadian distributor of the EpiPen says there is a shortage of one size of the emergency treatment for people at risk of life-threatening allergic reactions.

Pfizer Canada says there is a shortage of the 0.3-milligram form of the EpiPen because of a manufacturing disruption. The 0.15-mg EpiPen Jr product for young children is not affected.

The company anticipates the shortfall in supply will be resolved by March 2.

It says additional limited inventory will be available at the beginning of February, but will be carefully managed.

EpiPens expire on the last day of the month indicated on the product packaging. But Health Canada advises anyone having an anaphylactic reaction to use their expired product and immediately call 911.

Pfizer is asking pharmacists to keep the supply interruption in mind when filling prescriptions, as there are currently no alternative auto-injectors available on the Canadian market.

“At this time, there is limited supply of auto-injectors at wholesalers, distributors and at pharmacies,” the drug maker said on its website.

“While we are working closely with our distributors to avoid long-term supply shortage at the store level, we expect a period of between two and four weeks of no inventory.”

‘Epidemic’ of loneliness more deadly than smoking, study finds

CityNews | posted Friday, Jan 19th, 2018

Researchers and health care providers are warning loneliness is turning into an epidemic with the very real potential of putting a significant drain on public health care dollars if not tackled immediately by local governments.

 

The warning comes as British Prime Minister Theresa May recently appointed a minister for loneliness in a drive to tackle social isolation, a problem endured by 9-million Brits.

In Canada, studies have shown one in five Canadians experience some degree of loneliness and social isolation.

Dr. Oren Amitay, a Toronto psychologist, says loneliness and social isolation is not only becoming an epidemic, but a significant cause of mental distress.

“Loneliness contributes to stress and stress contributes to everything, whether it’s a sense of depression, fatigue, anxiety,” Amitay said. “For a lot of people, it may not be the most conscious thought on their mind, but people are truly afraid of dying alone.”

study by researchers at Brigham Young University in 2015 found the ill effects of loneliness are as bad as smoking 15 cigarettes a day. The study looked at more than three million participants and found increased social connection is linked to a 50 per cent reduced risk of premature death.

The 2016 Census found one-person households account for more than 28 per cent of all households. The number of couples with children have been falling steadily since 2001, now making up 26.5 per cent of all households.

Dipika Damerla, Ontario Minister of Seniors Affairs, said the Liberals recently invested $155-million to tackle social isolation among the elderly.

“I can tell you with confidence that the entire $155-million plan marries these two ideas which is that people want to live on their own as long as they can, but not at the cost of getting socially isolated,” she said.

As for what to do if chronic loneliness strikes, Dr. Amitay says its best for people to find a hobby or project that gives them purpose. Pets can also help seniors who may be isolated due to a lack of physical mobility.

Toronto man, 66, charged with 2 counts of first-degree murder in missing men probe

CityNews | posted Friday, Jan 19th, 2018

Efforts to assuage fears that a serial killer was active in Toronto’s Gay Village came to a chilling end on Thursday, when police announced the arrest of a 66-year-old man they allege murdered at least two missing men, and possibly more.

 

Bruce McArthur, 66, was charged with two counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of Andrew Kinsman, 49, and Selim Esen, 44, after Toronto police said new and “significant” evidence came to light on Wednesday.

The bodies of Kinsman and Selim have not been found, but Det.-Sgt. Hank Idsinga said they have a “pretty good idea of what the cause of death is.”

Kinsman has been missing since June 26. Esen hasn’t been seen since April 15.

The suspect in their deaths is a self-employed landscaper who lives in Thorncliffe Park and runs a company called Artistic Design.

“We believe he is responsible for the deaths of Kinsman and Esen,” Det.-Sgt. Idsinga said from police headquarters, adding investigators have evidence that leads them to believe there are more victims

“We aren’t able at this time to identify those victims. We are aware of the other missing men from the village and we are trying to identify if they may have become victims of Mr. McArthur as well.”

Skandaraj “Skanda” Navaratnam, 40, and Abdulbasir “Basir” Faizi, 44, both went missing from the Church and Wellesley area in 2010. Majeed “Hamid” Kayhan, 58, vanished from the area in October, 2012.

Police say all three of the missing men share a similar ethnicity and lifestyle and were active in the Church and Wellesley community.

Police had previously said there was no evidence connecting the disappearances of Kinsman and Selim, or the other men who remain missing from the Gay Village.

 

Chief Mark Saunders was at Wednesday’s news conference, and he defended how police handled the case.

“What I said, at the time that I said it, was accurate at the time,” he stressed, referring to how police had previously tried to downplay fears of a serial killer.

Idsinga said McArthur knew at least one of his alleged victims.

“He did have a relationship with Mr. Kinsman for some time,” he said. “We don’t know what his exact relationship with Mr. Esen was leading up to his (alleged) murder.”

When asked what the nature of the relationship with Kinsman was, Idsinga replied, “sexual.”

 

Helen Kennedy, executive director of the LGBTQ advocacy group Egale, said news of the arrest brought relief after months of fear and apprehension.

“The community, especially in the village, were very, very nervous, and rightly so. Two gay men went missing and the circumstances around their disappearances were very suspect and so people were speculating about what had happened to these two guys,” she said.

“I think that we had every right to be afraid and nervous, but at the same time, the police need time to do their work,” she said.

(Files from The Canadian Press were used in this report)

Page 5 of 306« First...34567...102030...Last »