1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Blogs

spring-tweet

Taste of spring is coming, but will it stay?

Meredith Bond | posted Friday, Apr 20th, 2018

The neverending winter appears to be coming to a close this weekend as Toronto is expected to see sustained double-digit temperatures and spring sunshine over the next week, but can we really put away the winter attire just yet?

CityNews Meteorologist Adam Stiles says it’s quite a sad state of affairs considering we are cherishing an average spring weather weekend, but it will be quite the stark contrast to the ice storm last weekend. However, there will be lots of sunshine to make up for the lower temperatures.

On Friday, it will be sunny with a high of 8 C and an overnight low of -2 C. It will be mainly sunny on Saturday as well with a high of 11 C, although we could see a few clouds. The overnight low will be -1 C.

And the forecast on Sunday calls for partly cloudy skies with a high of 12 C and an overnight low of 1 C.

thumbnail-6-e1524179406812

A head’s up if you are planning on getting out and enjoying the weather this weekend, the DVP will be closed for spring maintenance.

Looking ahead, Stiles says you are probably safe to put away your shovel, but the mittens and hats should stay handy over the next couple of weeks.

In years past when spring has been delayed, it has only been a couple weeks before summer-like temperatures arrive. However this year, the lake temperatures will need a couple extra weeks to warm up, so a shift to summer won’t be happening right away. For gardeners out there, a decent growing season is expected as well.

 

Maple Leafs fall into 3-1 series hole, lose 3-1 to the Bruins

Joshua Clipperton, The Canadian Press | posted Friday, Apr 20th, 2018

Boston Bruins goaltender Tuukka Rask (40) stops Toronto Maple Leafs centre William Nylander (29) during second period NHL round one playoff hockey action in Toronto on Thursday, April 19, 2018. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette

Brad Marchand scored the go-ahead goal in the second period and Tuukka Rask made 31 saves as the Boston Bruins defeated the Toronto Maple Leafs 3-1 on Thursday to grab a commanding 3-1 lead in their first-round playoff series.

Torey Krug and Jake DeBrusk had the other goals for the Bruins, who can wrap up the Eastern Conference quarterfinal when they host Game 5 on Saturday at Boston’s TD Garden. David Pastrnak added two assists.

Game 6, if necessary, would be played Monday back at Air Canada Centre.

Tomas Plekanec replied for the Leafs, who got 18 stops from Frederik Andersen.

Patrice Bergeron, part of a top line that combined for 20 points in the Bruins’ two emphatic home victories to open the series, was a surprise late scratch with an upper-body injury. Riley Nash took his spot between Marchand and Pastrnak.

Marchand snapped a 1-1 tie for Boston with 3:05 left in the second after the Bruins were whistled for icing. Leafs head coach Mike Babcock put his top line, centred by Auston Matthews, out hoping to pounce on a tired group, but Nash won the draw to Adam McQuaid, whose clearing attempt up the boards skipped past Toronto defenceman Jake Gardiner.

Pastrnak moved in on a 2-on-1 with Marchand, faking a shot to draw the over-aggressive Nikita Zaitsev to him before feeding his linemate with a slick pass for a wide-open net.

The Leafs had a number of chances earlier in the period to push ahead _ including a Mitch Marner breakaway off a stretch pass from Morgan Rielly that Rask turned aside with the blocker _ but were unable to get one by Rask.

Boston then made it 3-1 at 4:17 of the third on another bad Toronto pinch. David Krejci blocked Travis Dermott’s shot and raced the other way on a 2-on-1 before finding DeBrusk, who beat a helpless Andersen after Roman Polak failed to block the pass across.

The speedy Leafs found their legs and space through the neutral zone in their 4-2 victory in Game 3 on Monday, but found it tough to find room against the Bruins again.

Pastrnak now has 11 points in the series (four goals, seven assists), while Marchand has seven (two goals, five assists) despite Boston’s top line getting shut out in Game 3.

The visitors stunned the Leafs just 28 second into the game to quiet an electric Air Canada Centre when Krug’s snapshot from the sideboards found its way past Nash and Plekanec in front before glancing in off Andersen’s shoulder.

Toronto eventually got going and tied the score at 7:43 when Marner fed a pass from his knees that was helped on by Patrick Marleau to Plekanec, who made no mistake over Rask’s blocker for his first goal since being acquired from Montreal prior to the trade deadline.

The Leafs kept coming and nearly grabbed the lead later in the period, but Rask shot out his pad to deny Zach Hyman from in close as Toronto outshot Boston 12-7 through the opening 20 minutes.

Man seriously injured in Scarborough shooting

BT Toronto | posted Friday, Apr 20th, 2018

CTCN_WEB_JPG_LAWRENCE_SHOOTING_2018APR20

A man in his 20s is recovering in hospital after a shooting in Scarborough.

Emergency crews were called to Lawrence Avenue, just west of Pharmacy Avenue, around 1:15 a.m. on Friday.

Paramedics said the victim suffered serious but non-life-threatening injuries.

According to Toronto police, the suspect fled the scene on foot before emergency crews arrived.

No suspect description has been released.

Police continue to investigate.

Composite sketch released after woman robbed at gunpoint in Mississauga

BT Toronto | posted Thursday, Apr 19th, 2018

Peel-robbery-suspect-sketch-1

Peel police are on the hunt for a suspect after a shot was fired during a robbery in Mississauga.

It happened in the area of Ambler Drive and Kamato Road, which is not far from Tomken Road and Highway 401.

It was reported that the suspect met the female victim around 6 p.m. on Tuesday. The suspect was allegedly armed with a handgun and tried to rob the victim.

Police said a struggle ensued, causing a single bullet to be fired.

The suspect then fled the scene.

No one was injured in the robbery.

Police said the stray bullet became lodged in a door.

The suspect is in his mid 20s, about five feet 10 inches tall with a medium build, and a dark brown complexion. He has black wavy hair, which was messy at the time, dark eyes, no facial hair, and no piercings. He was last seen wearing dark pants, a black zip-up hoody or jacket, a hunting vest camouflage coloured (brown, green, beige) , and tan-coloured boots.

According to police, the suspect may use the name “Frank Whyte,” and also may frequent the Trethewey Drive area in Toronto.

Police worked with the witness to create a composite sketch of the suspect.

Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to contact investigators with the Central Robbery Bureau at 905-453-2121 (ext. 3410).

Ontario Premier Wynne calls Ford a ‘bully,’ says he’s just like Trump

Paola Loriggio, The Canadian Press | posted Thursday, Apr 19th, 2018

CTCN_WEB_JPG_WYNNE_SUNNYBROOK_2018APR18

Tensions between Ontario’s premier and the leader of the Opposition escalated Wednesday as Kathleen Wynne accused Doug Ford of being just like U.S. President Donald Trump, in what experts predict is a glimpse of a hostile election campaign to come.

Wynne pushed back against Ford on Wednesday, when she was asked about comments the Tory leader made a day earlier in which he suggested some Liberals could face jail time if they pulled what he described as “shady tricks” with taxpayer dollars.

The premier called Ford a bully and a coward and said he’s borrowing from Trump’s playbook. She said his words are similar to Trump’s attacks on his opponent Hillary Clinton, which included repeated calls to “lock her up.”

“Doug Ford sounds like Donald Trump and that’s because he is like Donald Trump,” said Wynne. “He believes in an ugly, vicious brand of politics that traffics in smears and lies. He’ll say anything about anyone at any time because just like Trump, it is all about him.”

Wynne said she won’t make the same mistake Clinton did, and will instead fight back against that type of behaviour.

“I’m not going to go high. I’m not going to go low. I’m going to call that bullying behaviour out for what it is,” she said. “He may be Donald Trump, but I’m not Hillary Clinton … and Ontario is not the United States of America.”

The Progressive Conservatives dismissed the comparison to Trump as a bizarre and desperate election ploy meant to distract from the Liberals’ political record.

“Desperate, desperate person,” Ford said when asked about Wynne’s comments. “We’ve seen this trick before, she’s trying to hoodwink the people, she thinks she’s smarter than the people.”

Ford repeated his promise to order a full outside audit of government books if elected premier.

The Tory leader announced the proposed audit Tuesday, saying he didn’t trust the Liberals’ accounting and referencing the gas plants scandal that saw former premier Dalton McGuinty’s ex-chief of staff sentenced to four months in jail for deleting documents.

“If Kathleen Wynne tried to pull these kinds of shady tricks in private life, then there would be a few more Liberals joining David Livingston in jail. Ontario deserves answers about how big Kathleen Wynne’s mess really is,” Ford said Tuesday.

The latest exchange is just a sign of what will likely be a particularly nasty campaign, experts said, echoing the premier’s prediction of a “vicious” race to lead the province.

“This is a bad preview of what may be in store,” said Myer Siemiatycki, a political science professor at Toronto’s Ryerson University.

Ford knew exactly what he was evoking with his statement, Siemiatycki said.

“I think he was channelling – and I think he was consciously channelling – Donald Trump, knowing how effective that kind of slogan and rally cry was in galvanizing political support,” he said.

“On the other side, I think the very swift and strong defence and counter-attack coming from Kathleen Wynne, I think maybe on her side intended to rally women especially to her cause.”

A massive cultural shift has occurred since the 2016 U.S. election in the rise of the Me Too movement, creating a climate in which it may be easier to push back against behaviours that would have previously gone unchallenged, experts said.

“Is Wynne right to call someone out for bullying and using language that she’s finding offensive and inappropriate? I mean, it’s a strong position to be in and I think the public is more open to that kind of thing now,” said Laura Stephenson, a political science professor at the University of Western Ontario.

“I think this is going to be something that we may see more of,” she said.

It likely won’t sway those with more populist views, however, Stephenson said. “There’s a lot of people in Canada who don’t dislike Donald Trump, so if anything, this may actually might be playing to some strengths that I think would already have been coming out,” she said.

The Tories also suggested Wynne’s criticism of Trump could compromise sensitive NAFTA negotiations, but Stephenson said the premier’s comments are unlikely to stir trouble and may even go unnoticed by the president.

Still, Stephenson said, when it comes to Wynne fighting back, “What does she have to lose?”

After 15 years in power, the Liberals have been lagging in the polls and face an uphill battle in the June election.

The Tories have repeatedly criticized the Liberals for what they call reckless spending of public funds.

A key ratings agency, Moody’s Investor Services, downgraded its outlook on Ontario’s finances Wednesday to “negative” from “stable” in light of the Liberal government’s plan to run six consecutive multibillion-dollar deficits.

Man arrested after multiple sexual assaults on Dufferin TTC bus

BT Toronto | posted Thursday, Apr 19th, 2018

Dufferin-bus-sex-assault-suspect-1

Toronto police have arrested a 47-year-old man in connection with a series of sexual assaults on the Dufferin TTC bus.

Police allege the first assault happened on April 10 around 5:30 p.m.when the man stood behind a 15-year-old girl on the bus and sexually assaulted her.

The next day, between 5 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., three other teenage girls travelling on the same route alleged the same man stood in front of them and sexually assaulted them.

Officers were able to locate the man standing at the northbound bus stop in front of Dufferin Mall just before 5 p.m. Tuesday.

Kethiswaran Shanmuganathan, 47, of Toronto, has been charged with four counts of sexual assault and one count of sexual interference.

Minnesota prosecutors plan announcement on Prince death

Meredith Bond | posted Thursday, Apr 19th, 2018

FILE - In this Feb. 4, 2007 file photo, Prince performs during halftime of the Super Bowl XLI football game in Miami. Minnesota prosecutors are planning an announcement Thursday, April 19, 2018, in their two-year investigation into Prince's death. Prince was found alone and unresponsive in an elevator at his Paisley Park estate on April 21, 2016. An autopsy found he died of an accidental overdose of fentanyl, a synthetic opioid 50 times more powerful than heroin. (AP Photo/Chris O'Meara, File)

Prosecutors in the Minnesota county where Prince died will announce a decision Thursday on criminal charges following a two-year investigation into the musician’s death from an accidental fentanyl overdose.

Carver County Attorney Mark Metz was scheduled to announce at 11:30 a.m. Thursday whether anyone would be charged.

Prince was 57 when he was found alone and unresponsive in an elevator at his Paisley Park estate in suburban Chanhassen on April 21, 2016. An autopsy found he died of an accidental overdose of fentanyl, a synthetic opioid 50 times more powerful than heroin.

A confidential toxicology report obtained by The Associated Press in March showed high concentrations of fentanyl in the singer’s blood, liver and stomach. The concentration of fentanyl in Prince’s blood was 67.8 micrograms per litre, which outside experts called “exceedingly high.” The report noted that fatalities have been documented in people with blood levels ranging from 3 to 58 micrograms per litre.

Search warrants unsealed about a year after Prince died showed that authorities searched his home, cellphone records of associates and his email accounts to try to determine how he got the drug. Authorities found numerous pills in various containers stashed around Prince’s home, including some counterfeit pills that contained fentanyl. The source of that fentanyl was never determined.

While many who knew Prince over the years said he had a reputation for clean living, some said he also struggled with pain after years of intense performances. Documents released by authorities last year paint a picture of a man struggling with an addiction to prescription opioids and withdrawal, and they also show there were efforts to get him help.

Associates at Paisley Park told investigators that Prince had been “going through withdrawals, which are believed to be the result of the abuse of prescription medication,” according to an affidavit unsealed in state court last year.

Just six days before he died, Prince passed out on a plane, and an emergency stop was made in Moline, Illinois. The musician had to be revived with two doses of a drug that reverses the effects of an opioid overdose.

The day before his death, Paisley Park staffers contacted California addiction specialist Dr. Howard Kornfeld as they were trying to get Prince help. Kornfeld sent his son, Andrew, to Minnesota that night, and the younger Kornfeld was among those who found Prince’s body. Andrew Kornfeld was carrying buprenorphine, a medication that can be used to help treat opioid addiction.

Documents also alleged Dr. Michael Todd Schulenberg, a family physician who saw the musician twice before his death, told authorities he prescribed the opioid painkiller oxycodone to Prince but put it under the name of Prince’s bodyguard and close friend, Kirk Johnson, “for Prince’s privacy.” Schulenberg’s attorney has disputed that.

A laboratory report obtained by The Associated Press notes that one of the pills found in a prescription bottle with Johnson’s name contained oxycodone.

Oxycodone, the generic name for the active ingredient in OxyContin, was not listed as a cause of Prince’s death. But it is part of a family of painkillers driving the nation’s overdose and addiction epidemic, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Nearly 2 million Americans abused or were addicted to prescription opioids, including oxycodone, in 2014.

Prince did not have any prescriptions for fentanyl.

Man arrested after random, unprovoked attacks on 5 women: police

BT Toronto | posted Thursday, Apr 19th, 2018

Ahmed-Oumer-2

Toronto police have arrested a 24-year-old man in connection with several attacks on women in the downtown core.

Police allege the man threw a rock at two different women, striking them in the back, near Yonge and Wellesley streets just after 8 a.m. last Thursday.

On Friday, the same man approached a third woman near Yonge and Dundas streets and allegedly kicked her in the back of the head. She had a concussion as a result of the incident.

Again, on Sunday, the man allegedly kicked a fourth woman in the back near Church and Wood streets, north of Carlton. A few minutes later, he kicked another woman in the chest.

Police say all of the assaults were random and unprovoked.

Ahmed Oumer, 24, has been charged with two counts of assault and assault with a weapon and one count of assault causing bodily harm.

Page 18 of 463« First...10...1617181920...304050...Last »