1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

News

Man stabbed outside Etobicoke fast food restaurant

BT Toronto | posted Thursday, Jan 16th, 2020

Toronto police are on the hunt for a suspect after a worker at a fast food restaurant was stabbed Wednesday night.

Emergency crews were called to a Subway sandwich location on Dixon Road, near Carlingview Drive, just before 11:30 p.m.

Police said the employee got into an altercation with the suspect on Monday over the fact that the man was in a car blocking the entrance to the shop.

The suspect returned to the restaurant Wednesday night and an altercation broke out, resulting in the employee being slashed across the chest.

Paramedics rushed the victim, a man believed to be in his 20s, to hospital with a serious but not life-threatening stab wound.

The suspect had fled the scene by the time authorities arrived.

He is described as black, in his 40s, and wearing a puffy red jacket with a hood. Police believe the vehicle is a black Hyundai.

Ontario high school teachers hold job action as contract talks stall

THE CANADIAN PRESS | posted Wednesday, Jan 15th, 2020

Schools in 16 boards across Ontario — including the Durham District School Board — will be closed on Wednesday, as the union representing public high school teachers holds another one-day strike.

It is the fifth job action in the Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation’s (OSSTF) series of rotating strikes during a contentious round of bargaining with the province.

The union, which represents 60,000 teachers and education workers, began one-day walkouts on Dec. 4 with a job action that closed schools across the province.

It has followed up with weekly rotating strikes that have closed all secondary schools and some elementary schools at the affected boards. In addition to representing high school teachers, the OSSTF represents education workers at some elementary schools.

Teachers were angered when the government announced that average high school class sizes would increase and four e-learning courses would be mandatory for graduation. The government has since scaled back those proposals, but OSSTF president Harvey Bischof has said it’s not enough.

Education Minister Stephen Lecce has repeatedly said the key sticking point is compensation, with the union demanding a roughly two-per-cent wage increase and the government offering one per cent.

Sewage treatment plant was cause of strange gas smell

BT Toronto | posted Wednesday, Jan 15th, 2020

A sewage treatment plant is being blamed for a strange gas smell across the city overnight.

Toronto Fire officials said they started receiving calls from residents in the Kipling Avenue and The Queensway area around 9:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Between then and midnight, more than 60 crews — both fire and Enbridge — were dispatched to the area for similar calls. Officials said they received about 120 calls over the course of the night.

Crews were unable to figure out what the smell was at any of the locations.

As the night went on, calls began coming in moving east across the city — moving from Etobicoke to all the way in the Beach area.

It was finally determined that the smell came from a sewage plan that had been flushing its pipes, and that there was no danger to the public.

Shooting in Richmond Hill may have been a case of road rage

BT Toronto | posted Wednesday, Jan 15th, 2020

No injuries have been reported after gunshots rang out on a residential street in Richmond Hill on Tuesday night.

Emergency crews were called to the scene on Kerrybrook Drive, near Major Mackenzie Drive and Yonge Street, around 10 p.m.

Police said it appears two vehicles were stopped when some sort of altercation broke out.

The altercation escalated to a point where a number of shots were fired.

According to police, one of the drivers claims two to three people got out of the other car and started shooting at him. He said he got out of his car and ran, narrowly escaping being shot.

There has been no word on what sparked the altercation but police are investigating if this is a case of road rage.

Toddler found wandering around Oshawa in a diaper

BT Toronto | posted Wednesday, Jan 15th, 2020

Durham police are investigating after a toddler was found alone, wondering around the streets of Oshawa.

Police said the two-year-old child was spotted by a passing motorist, who then contacted authorities.

The child was in only a diaper at the time.

Paramedics looked over the child before police took the toddler to the station.

Metrolinx looking at paid parking as the future for GO train stations

Simone Gavros | posted Tuesday, Jan 14th, 2020

GO Train commuters know it’s hard enough as it is to find parking at the GO Train station. Now, Metrolinx has proposed the possibility of changing a percentage of its free parking spots into paid parking spots within the next months.

The amount hasn’t been confirmed as of yet, but about 50% of the 70,000 GO Train spots will be turned into reserved parking in the next few years, starting with the conversion of thousands of spots right off the bat. Reserved parking spots currently cost GO Train commuters $98 per month and commuters need to rent a parking space for a minimum of six months.

The plan is still very much in the studying phase as talks of the exact percentage of paid parking spots per station is still up in the air.

Metrolinx spokesperson Anne Marie Aikins said in a statement, “We are just studying at this point. Nothing happening immediately. We are studying solutions as we know many GO customers have a challenge finding parking. We also want to keep their transit costs affordable both for the customer and taxpayers.”

Many GO Train commuters drive to the station in hopes of finding a spot. With this proposed paid parking, commuters may turn to alternate means to get to the station to avoid the price increase.

 

Queen agrees to let Harry and Meghan move part-time to Canada

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS | posted Tuesday, Jan 14th, 2020

Queen Elizabeth II said Monday that she has agreed to grant Prince Harry and Meghan their wish for a more independent life that will see them move part-time to Canada.

The British monarch said in a statement that “today my family had very constructive discussions on the future of my grandson and his family.”

She said it had been “agreed that there will be a period of transition in which the Sussexes will spend time in Canada and the UK.” Harry and Meghan are also known as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

“These are complex matters for my family to resolve, and there is some more work to be done, but I have asked for final decisions to be reached in the coming days,” the queen said.

In a six-sentence statement that mentioned the word “family” six times, the Queen said that “though we would have preferred them to remain full-time working Members of the Royal Family, we respect and understand their wish to live a more independent life as a family while remaining a valued part of my family.”

Monday’s meeting involved the Queen, her heir Prince Charles and his sons William and Harry, with Meghan expected to join by phone from Canada. Meghan arrived back in Canada last week to be with the couple’s baby son Archie. The family spent the holidays in British Columbia.

The meeting reflects the Queen’s desire to contain the fallout from Harry and Meghan’s decision to “step back” as senior royals, work to become financially independent and split their time between Britain and North America. The couple, also known as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, made the announcement Wednesday without telling the queen or other senior royals first.

The meeting at the monarch’s private Sandringham estate in eastern England was also set to include Harry’s father Prince Charles and his brother Prince William. It came after days of intense news coverage, in which supporters of the royal family’s feuding factions used the British media to paint conflicting pictures of who was to blame for the rift.

One of the more fraught questions that needs to be worked out is precisely what it means for a royal to be financially independent and what activities can be undertaken to make money. Other royals who have ventured into the world of commerce have found it complicated.

Prince Andrew, for example, has faced heated questions about his relationship with the late convicted sex offender and financier Jeffrey Epstein. Andrew, the queen’s second son, has relinquished royal duties and patronages after being accused by a woman who says she was an Epstein trafficking victim who slept with the prince.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex also face questions on paying for taxpayer-funded security. Home Secretary Priti Patel refused to comment, but said safety was a priority.

“I’m not going to provide any detailed information on the security arrangements for either them or any members of the royal family or for any protected individuals — that’s thoroughly inappropriate for me to do so,” she told the BBC. “At this moment in time, right now, the royal family themselves need some time and space for them to work through the current issues that they’re dealing with.”

Earlier Monday, Princes William and Harry slammed a newspaper report describing a severe strain in their relationship, calling the story offensive and potentially harmful as they embark on talks regarding the future of the British monarchy.

The two brothers issued the unusual statement even as Queen Elizabeth II was set to hold face-to-face talks with Prince Harry for the first time since he and his wife, Meghan, unveiled their controversial plan to walk away from royal roles. The dramatic family summit is meant to chart a future course for the couple.

Though the statement did not name the newspaper, the Times of London has a front page story about the crisis in which a source alleged that Harry and Meghan had been pushed away by the “bullying attitude from” William. The joint statement insisted that the story was “false.”

“For brothers who care so deeply about the issues surrounding mental health, the use of inflammatory language in this way is offensive and potentially harmful,” the statement said.

English Catholic teachers to launch one-day, province-wide strike on Jan. 21

THE CANADIAN PRESS AND NEWS STAFF | posted Tuesday, Jan 14th, 2020

Teachers in Ontario’s English Catholic system have announced a one-day strike on Jan. 21.

The president of the Ontario English Catholic Teachers’ Association (OECTA) says the government appears to only “do the right thing” when under pressure, so teachers have little choice but to take the next step in the bargaining process. The strike will impact elementary and high schools.

This is the first time in 20 years that the OECTA will completely withdraw services.

Catholic teachers began a work-to-rule campaign Monday that includes not participating in standardized testing, preparing report card comments or participating in Ministry of Education initiatives.

OECTA president Liz Stuart says the government negotiating team has said it has no authority to reach an agreement that doesn’t include “significant, permanent cuts.”

Education Minister Stephen Lecce released a statement Monday afternoon saying he was “disappointed in the teacher union’s continued focus on escalation.”

“Following five hours of a work-to-rule campaign, OECTA has decided to escalate to a one-day province-wide strike that negatively impacts their students,” he said in the statement.

Meanwhile, public elementary teachers stepped up their work-to-rule campaign and are planning for rotating strikes starting next week, while public high school teachers are set to stage the latest in a series of one-day, rotating strikes on Wednesday.

Lecce is urging teachers’ unions to stop further escalation.

Page 3 of 68112345...102030...Last »