1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

News

1 teen dead, 1 injured after car crashes into tree in Brampton

News Staff | posted Tuesday, Nov 5th, 2019

A 17-year-old boy is dead and another is in hospital after a car crashed into a tree in Brampton overnight.

Emergency crews were called to the scene at McVean Drive and Da Vinci Avenue, in the Goreway Drive and Castlemore Road area, around 11:15 p.m. Monday.

Paramedics said the passenger was pronounced dead at the scene.

The driver, who is also 17, was rushed to a trauma centre in life-threatening condition. His condition has since been upgraded to serious. Police originally said the driver had been placed in custody for impaired but now say there was no impairment involved. He’s expected to be charged with criminal negligence causing death.

Police said no other vehicles were involved in the crash.

Speed is believed to have been a factor in the crash.

McVean was closed in both directions for the investigation but has since reopened.

8 boys, 1 man charged in guns and gangs investigation in Regent Park

News Staff | posted Tuesday, Nov 5th, 2019

Toronto police say eight boys ranging in age from 14 to 17 and a 22-year-old man are facing a total of 60 charges between them in a gun and gang related investigation in Regent Park.

Police say plainclothes officers were in the neighbourhood around 1 a.m. Sunday to arrest a wanted 15-year-old-boy.

The officers saw him leave a townhouse and meet up with two other boys in the Eastern Avenue and Cherry Street area.

When police tried to arrest him, it’s alleged he pointed a loaded handgun at one of the officers before running off.

The 15-year-old was found a short time later and arrested. The other two boys, both 16-years-old, were also arrested shortly after.

All three are facing 26 firearms related charges between them including unauthorized possession of a firearm, possession of a firearm knowing its possession is unauthorized and possession of a Restricted Firearm with Ammo.

In addition five more boys — one of them wanted for an attempted murder investigation — were arrested when police continued their investigation in the area of Regent and Cole streets.

Upon noticing the police presence, the boys began to flee from an address where police were executing a search warrant. When police entered the address, they found a 22-year-old man and an illegal handgun.

Three 17-year-old boys, a 16-year-old boy and a 14-year-old boy are facing 30 firearms related charges between them.

The names of the eight boys have not been released in accordance with the Youth Criminal Justice Act.

Adh-Har Abdalla Hashim, 22, of Toronto is facing one count each of unauthorized possession of a firearm, possession of a firearm knowing its possession is unauthorized, careless storage of a firearm and possession of a restricted firearm with ammo.

All nine accused appeared in court the same day.

Police have released photos of two firearms seized in the investigation. Anyone with further information is asked to contact police.

Dafonte Miller expected to testify at trial of brothers accused of beating him

The Canadian Press | posted Tuesday, Nov 5th, 2019

 

The trial of a Toronto police officer and his brother is expected to hear Tuesday from the young black man they are accused of beating.

Dafonte Miller is scheduled to testify in an Oshawa courtroom this afternoon at the trial of Michael and Christian Theriault.

Michael Theriault, who was off duty at the time, and his brother are jointly charged with aggravated assault in the Dec. 28, 2016 incident.

They are also separately charged with obstruction of justice over how they portrayed the incident to investigators.

Prosecutors allege the brothers chased Miller, who was 19 at the time, then brutally beat him, at times using a metal pipe.

Court has heard the Theriault brothers told investigators they caught the teen breaking into their parents’ truck, and feared for their lives during the encounter.

The trial, which is taking place before a judge alone, began last week.

Toronto police launch pedestrian safety blitz after weekend time change

BT Toronto | posted Monday, Nov 4th, 2019

The week after the switch back to standard time is typically a dangerous one for pedestrians, and with that in mind, Toronto police launched a week-long safety campaign on Monday.

Police said there will be “no tolerance for excuses” as they focus on the ‘Big 4’ driver behaviours known to injure pedestrians — speeding, distracted driving, impaired driving and aggressive driving.

So far this year, more than 50 people have been killed on the city’s streets. Thirty of these victims were pedestrians, while more than 80 per cent of these victims were 55 years old or older.

The campaign will also focus on how pedestrians can keep themselves safe.

Police said that from 2014 to 2018, 40 per cent of all pedestrian collisions happened mid-block, while 27 per cent of the collisions took place when a driver was turning left at a signalized intersection.

Ontario education workers to announce result of ratification vote

THE CANADIAN PRESS | posted Monday, Nov 4th, 2019

The union representing Ontario’s education workers will announce Monday morning whether its members voted to adopt a new contract that was drawn up last month.

The 55,000 workers narrowly avoided a strike in early October when the CUPE bargaining team reached an eleventh-hour tentative deal with the province.

Had the workers — including custodians, early childhood educators and clerical staff — gone on strike, two dozen school boards said they would have had to close their doors.

Under the deal, the workers would get a one per cent wage increase.

The union says it will provide further details of the deal at a news conference at the legislature.

It also plans to announce steps it says are needed to address underfunding in Ontario’s public education system.

Meantime, all three unions representing teachers are negotiating new deals with the provincial government.

The union representing elementary teachers and education workers has announced that its members voted 98 per cent in favour of a strike, though it wouldn’t lay out a timeline for when it could happen.

Unions representing secondary and Catholic teachers are also holding strike votes.

Cellphone restriction in schools to take effect Monday

BT Toronto | posted Monday, Nov 4th, 2019

New cellphone restrictions are set to go into effect Monday for students across the province.

The restrictions, first announced earlier this year and supported by 97 per cent of parents, students and teachers who took part in the Ford government’s education reform consultations, mean students at Ontario schools will not be allowed to use mobile devices during instructional time.

Ontario’s Minister of Eductation, Stephen Lecce, says the cellphone restriction is a step toward a focused and academically enriched learning environment for students.

“Our government heard clearly from parents and educators about the growing challenge related to distracted students in the classroom,” Lecce said in a statement. “When in class, students should be focused on their studies and not on social media.”

University of Montreal professor Thierry Karsenti, Canada Research Chair in Technologies in Education, agrees that cellphones are a problem in schools but says the focus should not just be on a ban.

“I think we should teach students to be more responsible in their use of technology and their use of cellphones.”

Exemptions will be made if cellphones and tablets are required for medical reasons, to support special needs or for educational purposes allowed by instructors.

Police identify 19-year-old killed at Halloween frat house party

BT Toronto | posted Monday, Nov 4th, 2019

Police have released the name of the man who died from stab wounds suffered at a frat house party on Halloween night while upgrading charges against a 19-year-old man in connection with the incident.

Firdous Nabizada, 19, of Toronto was among three people stabbed after an altercation broke out at a fraternity house on Madison Avenue in the Annex just after midnight on Friday.

Police say one of the party-goers who was ejected from the party after getting into a previous altercation and producing a knife attempted to re-enter the house. While others tried to calm him down, the suspect produced another knife and randomly attacked other individuals in line who were also trying to get into the party.

Nabizada was one of the victims stabbed and with the help of friends was taken to a nearby hospital with critical injuries. He was pronounced dead on Saturday night.

Jacob Alves, 19, of no fixed address who was arrested on the evening of the attack has now been charged with second-degree murder. He is scheduled to appear in court on Monday morning.

A 15-year-old girl from Richmond Hill who cannot be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act is facing three counts of aggravated assault, three counts of assault with a weapon, one count of attempted murder and weapons dangerous.

Police say they want to speak with anyone who was at the party and may have taken photos or video as well as anyone else who may have been in the area at the time of the incident.

Ontario elementary school teachers to release results of strike vote

THE CANADIAN PRESS | posted Friday, Nov 1st, 2019

The union representing Ontario’s elementary school teachers says it plans to announce Friday morning whether or not its members are willing to go on strike.

The Elementary Teachers Federation of Ontario has been holding strike votes across the province for the past several weeks as it tries to negotiate a new labour deal with the provincial government.

The union said it will release the results of those votes at a 10:30 a.m. news conference. Watch it live on this website.

The Progressive Conservative government has been in tense contract talks with all the province’s education workers, who have been without contracts since the end of August.

Last month it reached a deal with the Canadian Union of Public Employees hours before its members were to walk off the job.

Both the federation and the union representing public high school teachers have applied for conciliation in their ongoing talks with the province.

Page 30 of 681« First...1020...2829303132...405060...Last »