1. Skip to navigation
  2. Skip to content
  3. Skip to sidebar

Blogs

Police find remains of 6 people, including Andrew Kinsman, in McArthur case

Michelle McQuigge and Peter Goffin, The Canadian Press | posted Friday, Feb 9th, 2018

An alleged serial killer accused of murdering five men is expected to face more charges after Toronto police announced the discovery of more human remains on Thursday.

Homicide Det. Sgt. Hank Idsinga said that the remains of six individuals have now been recovered from a residential property where Bruce McArthur, a 66-year-old self-employed landscaper, had worked.

“I do anticipate more charges,” Idsinga said outside 53 Mallory Crescent, where the remains had been discovered in several planters. “I don’t have a timetable for that, I don’t have a number for that, but I would expect more charges will eventually be laid.”

Idsinga said police have identified at least one set of remains as belonging to Andrew Kinsman, one of the men McArthur is accused of murdering, but said investigators are still working to determine who the other alleged victims are.

McArthur was charged on Jan. 18 with 49-year-old Kinsman’s death, as well as the presumed death of 44-year-old Selim Esen. Both men went missing from Toronto’s gay village in 2017.

Late last month, police laid three more first-degree murder charges against McArthur related to the disappearances of Majeed Kayhan, 58, and Soroush Mahmudi, 50, as well as the death of Dean Lisowick, either 43 or 44, who had never been reported missing.

At that time, police had said skeletal remains belonging to three unidentified individuals had been discovered in planters in the backyard of the Mallory Crescent home. After working on the property for a week and a half, Idsinga said the number of remains recovered had doubled.

An extensive excavation of the home’s back yard under the guidance of a forensic anthropologist was expected to get underway later on Thursday. Idsinga said police had been thawing the frozen ground for a week to expedite the dig, adding they have already identified some areas of particular interest.

Idsinga said the investigation, which he previously described as unprecedented in scope, is proceeding on multiple fronts.

Once police are finished with the evidence so far, Idsigna said they will re-examine “literally hundreds” of missing persons cases in search of potential links to McArthur.

He also said police were taking a detailed look at McArthur’s extensive digital presence.

“We’re going through computers, we’re going through cellphones, we’re going through online applications and different apps,” he said. “We’ve prepared warrants on different providers, so that’s a very big part of this investigation.”

Police previously announced that they were searching at least 30 properties connected to McArthur. Idsinga said investigators were also sifting through the contents of at least 15 planters recovered from multiple properties, at least some of which had contained human remains.

 

Trudeau makes pitch to Silicon Valley, Amazon to invest in Canada

Jordan Press, The Canadian Press | posted Friday, Feb 9th, 2018

Justin Trudeau made his prime ministerial pitch to Silicon Valley on Thursday, and had a chance to push Toronto specifically as a place for Amazon’s second headquarters during a private meeting with the company’s chief executive.

Before the meeting with Jeff Bezos, Trudeau said the project would be a boon for any city’s local economy. He said he hoped Canada’s largest city was the recipient of the expected US$5-billion project that could result in 50,000 jobs.

The prime minister didn’t say what his government was willing to offer to land the project, instead speaking of what he called the “Canadian advantage.

“We know that investing in Canada is a smart thing to do in this global economy. We have access to markets around the world with the trade deals we’re signing. We have an educated, diverse workforce that does incredibly great work,” Trudeau said.

“We’re going to continue to demonstrate why we know that Canada is such a great place to invest. I’m going to continue to make that case to every business leader I meet, including Jeff Bezos.”

Trudeau’s visit to San Francisco marked the first time in more than 70 years that a Canadian prime minister had come to the city, and his first in-person pitch to Silicon Valley.

The goal wasn’t to lure talent away from the region, but to sell Canada as a place to invest, said Rana Sarkar, Canada’s consul general in San Francisco.

“We are here not to steal jobs from Silicon Valley,” Sarkar said in an interview this week. “We are here to co-create with the tech sector here.”

Two years ago when Trudeau took office, Canadian expats who were veterans of Silicon Valley talked to The Canadian Press about the difficult sell their home country faced. In California, salaries, sunshine as well as venture capital were all abundant, and the professional culture more advanced, they said.

However, they also spoke longingly about bringing that culture back home to create the same kind of success in Canada that they experienced in California.

“The valley is great, but it’s actually not my number-one place where I’m trying to bring talent from,” said Ben Zifkin, who runs a Toronto-based social network for businesses called Hubba.

“It’s hard to pull people out of that.”

Donald Trump’s presidency has made the pitch a little easier: all the tough talk about trade deals and immigration has changed the political climate in the United States. JMarc Benioff, the CEO of Salesforce, which provides customer-service cloud services to businesses, told Trudeau that “we connect with you on your values,” particularly diversity and openness.

“The political climate has obviously made Canada more attractive because we’re more diverse, we’re more welcoming and we’re more open,” said Lekan Olawoye, who leads the venture talent development division at the MaRS Discovery District in Toronto.

Companies like Microsoft and Amazon have invested in staff in Canada to get around the American visa quotas for overseas workers, said Chris Sands, Director of the Center for Canadian Studies at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore.

“Canada has been a safety valve for these big companies that are able to bring people from Asia and elsewhere into Canada.”

Trudeau said his government would continue to fast-track visas for skilled workers in the tech sector, because those companies want to bring more global talent to North America.

“We know that bringing in great talent from around the world is a tremendous benefit, not just to the companies that want to do that, but to Canadian jobs and to our country as a whole — so we’re going to continue to do that.”

Calgary mayor says 2026 Olympic bid decision will be made by summer

Arash Madani, Sportsnet | posted Friday, Feb 9th, 2018

PYEONGCHANG, South Korea – Thirty years after watching the opening ceremony at McMahon Stadium as a teenager, Calgary mayor Naheed Nenshi sat inside Olympic Stadium to watch the cauldron get lit here on Friday night.

But he’s not just here as a fan of Team Canada.

Nenshi is on a fact-finding mission in South Korea with a group that is publicly calling itself “an interested city” for the 2026 Winter Games – the formal International Committee nomenclature for those exploring their options to host, since bids are not yet open.

“The real idea here is to have a bunch of meetings with both IOC people, but also the local organizing committee,” Nenshi told Sportsnet, in a wide-ranging interview Friday. “They’ve been real generous with their time to show some of the innovative things they’ve done with their venues, what they’re thinking of their legacy post-Olympics, just to give us a sense of how the Olympics have changed in the 30 years since Calgary ’88.”

Calgary’s bid exploration committee forecasts the price tag for hosting both the 2026 Olympics and Paralympics to be $4.6 billion. Nenshi is here to get a first-hand look at how the PyeongChang Organizing Committee is executing its games, and to visit with the IOC on their commitment to keeping the endeavour financially feasible.

“It’s a really good opportunity for us to spend some time with the International Olympic Committee to understand their games management system, the changes that they’ve promised to make to bring the cost of the games down and to really see how far that goes and if it really matches what Calgary, Alberta and Canada can do,” Nenshi said.

It is expected the cost of just bidding to host an Olympics is in the $30 million range.

“We will have to make a real decision if we’re serious about this by this summer,” Nenshi said.

Earlier this week, in an address here in PyeongChang, IOC vice-president Juan Antonio Samaranch said the organization is in the “dialogue phase” with interested cities. It is not just Calgary that has serious questions about Olympic economics.

“We are based on maximum flexibility, reduced cost, maximum use of existing facilities, sustainability, legacy,” Samaranch said. “The new norm is critical.”

Which, in part, includes using – and renovating – existing venues, and finding ways to minimize capital costs for facilities. Prior to Friday’s opening ceremony, Nenshi attended Canada’s mixed doubles curling match and toured the multi-purpose facility that has been transformed into sheets of pebble for the next month. It’s a 3,500-seat arena that has practice sheets underneath.

“It’s helpful to see how different people are approaching very similar problems,” Nenshi said.

They were also studying PyeongChang’s transportation system, and how they shuttle thousands of people from the mountains to the coast – similar to how Calgary would have to get people to and from Banff and Canmore.

Kirsty Duncan, Canada’s Minister of Sport and Persons with Disabilities, is here until Feb. 12. There is also a presence from the province of Alberta. Nenshi leaves next week.

“Then we go back to our respective councils, caucuses, cabinets with what we’ve learned and really try to figure out if there is a financial and operating model that makes sense,” Nenshi said. “We have to go back to our citizens and discuss, while we’re still working on the technical feasibility of whether we can do it.”

 

Canadian Olympic snowboarder Laurie Blouin carried off on stretcher

The Canadian Press and News Staff | posted Friday, Feb 9th, 2018

Canadian snowboarder Laurie Blouin was carried off the Phoenix Park course on a stretcher after a nasty training fall on Friday at the Pyeongchang Olympics.

The reigning world champion in slopestyle fell heavily when her board got stuck in a crack after she landed a double jump.

In a statement, the Canadian Olympic Committee said Blouin “has been taken to the regional hospital as a precaution. She is conscious and alert and on her way back to the Village with a team doctor. Her condition will continue to be monitored.”

Maclean’s asks men to pay more in call for pay equity

Catherine McIntyre, Maclean's | posted Thursday, Feb 8th, 2018

Decades after Canada introduced pay equity laws, women continue to earn less than men, regardless of sector, job title, or number of hours they work. To draw attention to the problem, Maclean’s is asking men to pay 26 per cent more than women for its magazine this month—a reflection of the persistent wage differential between full-time working men and women in Canada.

The content of both magazines is exactly the same, but one cover aimed at men costs $8.81, while the other created for women costs $6.99. (In practice, readers can buy whichever cover they like.) Extra proceeds from $8.81 cover will be donated to Indspire, an Indigenous-led charity, to help fund a scholarship for an Indigenous woman.

“Pay equity is having its moment as the next beat in the cadence of the #MeToo movement,” says Maclean’s Editor-in-Chief, Alison Uncles. “Our hope is that these dual covers help ignite the kind of urgent conversation in Canada that is already happening elsewhere around the world.” 

The reasons for the enduring wage gap are many and complex, according to a Maclean’s feature report. Academics have devoted decades to researching them; politicians have spent nearly as long pledging legislation to close the gap. But since the second and third waves of feminism came and went, women’s wages have climbed a mere 10 per cent. But that could be changing. The Maclean’s cover story looks at why efforts to close the wage gap have failed, and whether new federal legislation promised by the Trudeau government—amid growing public outrage—will finally move the dial.

The full article is available on newsstands and on the Maclean’s website.

Standard lease agreements coming to Ontario rentals

Amanda Ferguson | posted Thursday, Feb 8th, 2018

The Ontario government has waded into Toronto’s hot rental market with the province’s first standard lease for private rentals.

Starting April 30, the standard form must be used in any private residential lease agreement. That includes anyone renting out houses, apartments, condos or basement apartments.

“Ontario is one of the few provinces that didn’t have a standard form of lease for residential tenancies, so we’re actually playing catch up with most of the rest of the country,” says housing minister Peter Milczyn.

There are about 1.25 million private rental homes in Ontario, with about 19,000 units changing hands every month.

This move comes after a number of renting horror stories. Last fall, CityNews helped dozens of international students who were allegedly defrauded out of thousands of dollars by a man demanding key money and several months’ rent in advance to secure an apartment.

The new forms clearly list total rent, when it’s due, and all rules related to the rental unit. It also outlines both landlord and tenant responsibilities. Further, it explains what can and can’t be included in a lease.

“Many tenants are told in their lease that they’re not allowed to have pets, when they can,” notes Georgie Dent, the executive director of the Federation of Metro Tenants Associations. “Or that they have to move out, when they don’t have to move out, or that they have to pay money when they don’t. So we’re very excited that confusion, and a lot of that illegality is going to be cleared up.”

Existing leases are still legal. Further, anyone moving into social, retirement or nursing homes, commercial rental buildings, or mobile homes, won’t be covered. The government is planning on releasing separate standard agreements for these types of homes.

Gender-neutral anthem lyrics now official

The Canadian Press | posted Thursday, Feb 8th, 2018

The new, gender-neutral lyrics to O Canada are official.

Canadian Heritage Minister Melanie Joly says the one-line revision to the national anthem became law Wednesday, one day ahead of the opening of the Winter Olympics in South Korea.

The new wording changes the second line of the anthem’s English version to “in all of us command” from “in all thy sons command.”

Members of Parliament broke into applause after singing the updated version in the House of Commons a few hours after the bill received royal assent.

Joly says the government will update its materials and spread news of the change at no extra cost.

The update is the culmination of efforts by former Liberal MP Mauril Belanger, who died two years ago, to make the anthem more inclusive.

Next Gerber baby will be a boy with Down syndrome

The Associated Press | posted Thursday, Feb 8th, 2018

One-year-old Lucas Warren’s contagious smile won over executives at Gerber baby food who have made him their “spokesbaby” this year.

Lucas is Gerber’s first spokesbaby with Down syndrome in the company’s 91-year history.

His photo was chosen out of more than 140,000 submissions. He will receive $50,000, and the Dalton, Georgia, boy’s image will be featured in the company’s social media posts.

Lucas’ mom, Cortney Warren, says she hopes this will bring help increase the acceptance of special needs kids.

Page 62 of 476« First...102030...6061626364...708090...Last »